Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn off Registration and Posting (Make forum read only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Turn off Registration and Posting (Make forum read only)

Hi,

I am going to be moving my forum from one server to another and I do not want to take the forum offline as my database is 900MB it will take a while to download and restore onto the new server. Is there a way to make vbulletin read only so no users can post or register during this time. I don't want to just turn the forum off and have no access to it.

Regards,
    Jason
    http://www.pegym.com
    vb 4.2.0 Patch 2

AdminCP - Settings - Options - User Registration Options - Allow New User Registrations? No.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Usergroups > Registered Users

Can Post Threads
      Can Reply to Others' Threads

No

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

You shouldn't need to download the back to your own machine if you've got tools at your disposal.

You can use SSH, and backup the database on the current server. Then via SSH again grab the database from the other machine via wget or curl and you use your server to move the file.

Also a 900mb database (unless its filled with tons of attachments) will shrink pretty well. I recently had a 1.7gb database that I had to work with, the zipped file was 300mb.

If you can't use SSH on the old server, you can use a tool like mysqldumper.

Comment

I have access to ssh but I am not to familiar with it what command do I use to backup and compress my database then what do I use for the wget command?
          vb 4.2.0 Patch 2

Comment

Follow the instructions here: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...ce_ssh_restore
            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Ok I seem to have gotten it to start copying but at the same point everytime during my post table I get the error mysql server has gone away. I am assuming this has to do with the post table being so large and causing it to time out but what setting do I need to change to get this corrected?
              vb 4.2.0 Patch 2

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                You shouldn't need to download the back to your own machine if you've got tools at your disposal.

You can use SSH, and backup the database on the current server. Then via SSH again grab the database from the other machine via wget or curl and you use your server to move the file.

Also a 900mb database (unless its filled with tons of attachments) will shrink pretty well. I recently had a 1.7gb database that I had to work with, the zipped file was 300mb.

If you can't use SSH on the old server, you can use a tool like mysqldumper.
                Hey Zachery,

I really am having issues with transfering both large DB and attachments as I use two servers for the past three months. I could use some help in doing that without having to download'em localy.
                Could you explain little on how to do it between servers? At least the database.

I use SSH on Linux on both servers with root access on the new server.
                My database is around 800mb and attachments around 6 to 8 gb (filesystem attachments)

Thanks
                To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
                My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
                CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
                Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X