So many connections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] So many connections?

My hosts are telling me that my users are making too many connections to my site. There are 5 or 6 users making over 100 connections each, so the hosts are telling me to sort it out!!

Apart from dropping the inactivity threshold, what else can be done about so few users making so many conenctions. Is it more likely to be something at their end?

Try finding a better host? I presume you are on shared hosting and that it is cheap..

I started off on servage, and when i outgrew them ( 1000+ ) visitors a day, i went to a company called mosso, which was one of the first doing cloud based servers.

Comment

Make sure that Persistent Connections is turned off in your config.php file. This is the default setting and it should look like:
      Code:
          //    ****** MASTER DATABASE PERSISTENT CONNECTIONS ******
          //    This option allows you to turn persistent connections to MySQL on or off.
          //    The difference in performance is negligible for all but the largest boards.
          //    If you are unsure what this should be, leave it off. (0 = off; 1 = on)
      $config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        Make sure that Persistent Connections is turned off in your config.php file. This is the default setting and it should look like:
        Yep, it's set to 0, thanks for the tip Wayne.

Originally posted by zooki View Post
        Try finding a better host? I presume you are on shared hosting and that it is cheap..

I started off on servage, and when i outgrew them ( 1000+ ) visitors a day, i went to a company called mosso, which was one of the first doing cloud based servers.
        Interesting Zooki. We have 3-400 users on the site regularly at the same time, and are on a VPS quad core with 2gb of memory at £50 per month. The hosts are pushing me to go dedicated!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gazzak View Post
          Interesting Zooki. We have 3-400 users on the site regularly at the same time, and are on a VPS quad core with 2gb of memory at £50 per month. The hosts are pushing me to go dedicated!!!
          Most people start to move to dedicated at this level of usage. You may be able to get away with a more powerful VPS slice though.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

My hosts are now saying this:

"The issue wouldn't be with your visitors PCs but something installed on your forum. We can't say for certain but there are a lot of entries for the yuiloader plugin in the logs."

What is the yuiloader?

Comment

It's the user-interface loader from Yahoo. Nothing harmful. Ask them if they will send you the logs that pertain to your site/account on the server.

Dustin
              http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
              http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

YUI - Yahoo Interface Tools. It is the Javascript Library that vBulletin uses. The yuiloader is loaded on every page to load those tools. However it doesn't have anything to do with MySQL connections.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X