Post order not matching User settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Post order not matching User settings

I dont see an option to set Post Display Mode. Only Thread Display Mode - Linear - Oldest (or newest) First.

A user is telling me that they go into a thread and see the newest post at the top rather than the bottom.

When I go in that thread I see it the opposite , as it should be.

Is there a global setting somewhere for User Group? Or a user specific setting somewhere? Or a forum specific setting somewhere?

- - - Updated - - -

=====================================================================================
    Just got this email from the user: I swear if users were clear in their descriptions I would be able to figure some of this stuff out on my own. But this statement makes no sense. He said his *POSTS* were not in the correct order. Yet he says fixing "THREAD DISPLAY MODE" fixed his problem. That doesn't make sense, unless THREAD DISPLAY MODE also affects the sorting order of POSTS WITHIN A THREAD.

Does it?

And the original problem is still there. Why were his settings ignoring the global settings? The Forum has display mode set properly already.

Email:

Hello,

Good news, I figured this out! Sorry to bother you. I could not find the Forum Actions/General Settings tab before. I knew it must have been there.
    I just had to change the "Thread Display Mode" to Linear, Oldest First... I appreciate your following up on this. I'm all set. Thank you!

Helpful forums on hair loss support and information.

Yes, this is controlled by the "Thread Display Mode" user setting (Settings -> General Settings). The default is Linear - Oldest First, it sounds like he had it set to Linear - Newest First.

Comment

Okay but this user was seeing *posts* in the wrong order.

I see two possible settings:

1) Settings > General Settings > Thread Display Mode.

2) Forums > Forum Manager > Edit Forum > Last Post Time & Default Sort order > Descending.

---------

Myself and my users who are posting say they see posts sorted properly.

After we did the import from PHPBB I saw that my forum was set to "Linear - Newest First". I found this very odd, and had to change it in the ACP.

I then had to go into each forum and change it to: "Last post time, Descending". It was set to "Last Post Time - Ascending" after the import for some reason.

So since we came online last week, the forum has been set to "Linear - Oldest First". For threads.

And sorted by "Last post time, Descending". For posts.

All users were imported *together* from PHPBB last week.

So why is this users settings different? He did not do this himself.

And I know he did not have it set this way in PHPBB.

My concern is that other users are also set this way. And we will have to manually run a script which switches this setting for all users.

----------

We had to do something similar with the time zone.

The imported users all had the wrong time zone in their settings, and there was nothing in the ACP which could override user specific settings.

We had to run a script which forcibly changed everyone's time zone in the database.

And this begs the question - are there other settings which are wrong, randomly, for random users?

Now ........................................

"Thread Display Mode" affected the sorting of Thread Titles when I changed it.

Does it also affect the sorting of posts within threads?

I guess I need to know if I should run another script which forcibly changes all users to see proper post sorting.

And if so, exactly which field in the database is this?

Complicated to explain. Hope this makes sense.
      Last edited by vBBurger; Sun 1 Jul '12, 3:44pm.

Comment

Thread Display Mode affects the display when viewing a thread - Linear - Oldest First is the normal view with posts sorted with the oldest post first, etc. It does not affect the order that the threads themselves are sorted in when viewing a forum.

The Default Sort Field and Default Sort Order forum options controls the sorting of threads when viewing the forum. It does not affect the sort order of posts withing a thread.

If a user, when viewing a thread, sees the newest post first, it is a result of the Thread Display Mode option. I'm not sure why that user would have this changed without doing it themselves. However, if you want to make sure everyone is on Linear - Oldest First, you can run this MySQL query:
        Code:
        UPDATE user SET threadedmode = 0;
        UPDATE user SET options = options - 32768 WHERE options & 32768;
        If you go to the Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Execute SQL Query, there are a number of automatic queries you can use if you are concerned that some settings are wrong from the import. If you are given a message saying that you are not authorized to run MySQL queries when trying to access that page, you need to give yourself this permission by editing your includes/config.php file:
        PHP Code:
            //    ****** USERS WITH QUERY RUNNING PERMISSIONS ******
            //    The users specified here will be allowed to run queries from the control panel.
            //    See the above entries for more information on the format.
            //    Please note that the ability to run queries is quite powerful. You may wish
            //    to remove all user IDs from this list for security reasons.
        $config['SpecialUsers']['canrunqueries'] = ''
        Add your userid there. For example, if your userid is 1 (as it would be if you are using the user created during the initial installation of the software), change it to this:
        PHP Code:
            //    ****** USERS WITH QUERY RUNNING PERMISSIONS ******
            //    The users specified here will be allowed to run queries from the control panel.
            //    See the above entries for more information on the format.
            //    Please note that the ability to run queries is quite powerful. You may wish
            //    to remove all user IDs from this list for security reasons.
        $config['SpecialUsers']['canrunqueries'] = '1'

Comment

I'm not sure why that user would have this changed without doing it themselves.
          Most likely more problems with the importer.

The preset SQL Queries are awesome thank you!

The one that says "Posts - Oldest First". Is this the same as the manual one you are recommending above?

- - - Updated - - -

I received this response:

An error occurred while attempting to execute your query. The following information was returned.
          error number: 1064
          error desc: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'UPDATE user SET options = options - 32768 WHERE options & 32768' at line 2

- - - Updated - - -

I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM.

For some reason you guys have this nifty little setting ........triplicated .... in a tucked away corner in the basement .... and this is what was apparently overriding EVERYTHING ELSE i have set on the ACP.

Please see attached image.

Now please tell me - if I have the forum globally set to be different than this, why is this duplicitous setting sitting here all by itself, when its already located in one or two other locations, and they are set differently?

If I tell the software that the forums global setting should be something, then thats what it should be.

I registered a new account and all the posts were revered.

This explains why one user was different than all the others.

I only found this accidentally. If I hadn't. all my new users for months and years to come would be seeing things wrong.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by vBBurger; Mon 2 Jul '12, 2:46pm.

Comment

Well, there is a bit of duplication of things, however that's not always bad.

New users take their defaults from that setting
            Current users have to have theirs faceablely changed by a query

Comment

Originally posted by vBBurger View Post
              The one that says "Posts - Oldest First". Is this the same as the manual one you are recommending above?
              The queries I gave are the same as setting everyone to Linear mode (the first query) and then setting everyone to Oldest First (the second query).

Originally posted by vBBurger View Post
              I received this response:

An error occurred while attempting to execute your query. The following information was returned.
              error number: 1064
              error desc: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'UPDATE user SET options = options - 32768 WHERE options & 32768' at line 2
              I gave you two separate queries, but the Admin CP's "Execute MySQL Query" function only allows running one at a time. Sorry for not explaining it better. Run the first line, then run the second line (or use the automatic queries - they'll do the same thing).

Comment

Well, there is a bit of duplication of things, however that's not always bad.
                Its bad when one overrides the others. And its extremely difficult to find.

(or use the automatic queries - they'll do the same thing).
                I ran the automatic queries yesterday, and today a new registrant posted that they were seeing everything backwards still. So I am confused. Should I run your queries, or did I already do so by running all the automatic ones in the list?

Its funny - the automatic ones dont follow the proper phrasing.

First it has a query that says : "Threads - Linear". Alight ... is that Linear Oldest First or Linear Newest first? Doesnt say.
                Then it has a query below that: "Posts - Oldest First".

Well the naming convention on VBulletin is "Thread Display Mode - Linear - Oldest First".

Not "Posts - Oldest First"

I actually raised this issue in another thread because it would be more understandable to call it "Post Display Mode".

So now im completely lost.

I ran the first query: "Threads Linear"

Then I ran "Posts - Oldest first".

Yet still the new registrant said he's seeing new posts first.

I'll just run your manual ones and hopefully that will work.

Do I need to run any update of counters/maintenance/threads/posts updates after I do this?
                Last edited by vBBurger; Tue 3 Jul '12, 6:04pm.

Comment

The problem is that they don't

One only effects new uses, when they register (or when they're imported)
                  The other changes the current users options.

Comment

Matthew - running your script worked.

However running the pre-created scripts did not.

Assuming that's what they're supposed to do.

Comment

I am so glad I found this thread! I want to do the opposite. I want all users, even guests to see the newest post in a thread first. Since my posts are mostly date related, we are making a new thread for the new dates, where we could just continue to respond to 1 thread if the newest posts were shown at the top. Is there a way to se this as the default for guests? I found how to set it for new registered users. But I want - newest post first - to be the default for all.

Thanks!
                      Kim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X