X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by fatmouse View Post
    I do have the back up of attachments as well.
    That's good to hear.

In that case restoring from June 5th backup, both database and attachments would be the best bet if you want to restore the posts you pruned.

Leave a comment:

• fatmouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Do you have a backup of your attachments folder from June 5th also? So if you did a restore of your database could you also restore the attachments folder from June 5th as well?

The reason I ask is that restoring a posts is pretty much useless if attachments are missing. Posts with missing attachments are hard to follow as the content will no longer make any sense.

I do have the back up of attachments as well.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    attachments are all stored as files.
    Do you have a backup of your attachments folder from June 5th also? So if you did a restore of your database could you also restore the attachments folder from June 5th as well?

The reason I ask is that restoring a posts is pretty much useless if attachments are missing. Posts with missing attachments are hard to follow as the content will no longer make any sense.

Leave a comment:

• fatmouse
    replied
    How are your attachments stored, database or files?
    attachments are all stored as files.

Leave a comment:

• TheLastSuperman
    replied
    It's going to be more work and cause more issues if you try to merge in the deleted threads from a existing backup. The easiest and most headache free way minus the lost posts is to restore the backup from June 5th. I would also inquire with your hosts to see if they have any form of automatic backups they can offer, if so more than likely it will incur additional costs but I would ask to see if it's even a option.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied

So what will the result be if my server guy simply imports as he has stated above?

Thanks
    How are your attachments stored, database or files?

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    So what will the result be if my server guy simply imports as he has stated above?

Thanks
    Take a backup of your current database, do what your server guy says, and then see if it's OK. If not, restore the backup you just took.

Leave a comment:

• fatmouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post
    Purge is not a term used in vBulletin (or mysql). What did you do to Purge the info?
    Sorry...I pruned the posts...

- - - Updated - - -

There are dozens of tables that are effected as well as attachments when a thread is pruned. It's virtually impossible to restore deleted threads. Your best bet is to choose either lose the posts from June 5th to today, or lose the pruned threads.

This will be a very important lesson to you regarding backups and how to troubleshoot problems.

Trust me, we've all been there. Losing 20 days of threads/posts is a lot better than losing thousands of threads that go back to the beginning of your forum.

But those dozens of tables have a structure and information in them. All that is in the back up. I'm sure the structure doesn't change when a post is pruned?

Yes..I have learned an important lesson

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    There are dozens of tables that are effected as well as attachments when a thread is pruned. It's virtually impossible to restore deleted threads. Your best bet is to choose either lose the posts from June 5th to today, or lose the pruned threads.

This will be a very important lesson to you regarding backups and how to troubleshoot problems.

Trust me, we've all been there. Losing 20 days of threads/posts is a lot better than losing thousands of threads that go back to the beginning of your forum.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Can someone tell me exactly what happens when you purge? (what info is deleted?)
    Purge is not a term used in vBulletin (or mysql). What did you do to Purge the info?

Leave a comment:

• fatmouse
    replied
    The only way you can get those threads back would be to restore your database from May 12th. Of course you would lose the posts between May 12th to today.

How many posts have been posted since May 12th ??
    I have a back up from June 5, 2012...but there have been many posts since then as well.

Is there not a way to import the information without deleting the current information?

What will happen if we import as suggested above?

Can someone tell me exactly what happens when you purge? (what info is deleted?)

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    The only way you can get those threads back would be to restore your database from May 12th. Of course you would lose the posts between May 12th to today.

How many posts have been posted since May 12th ??

Leave a comment:

• fatmouse
    started a topic [Forum] purged threads

purged threads

Good morning

I purged alot of threads trying to sort out a slow database issue. Turns out it wasn't the database size that was the issue.

I'm trying to restore the threads back from May 12 2011.

Below is what my server folks have suggested....will this work??

Hi Dan

I'm using a test database to see what is there and see if I can remove what I don't need. I'm not sure how I do that yet.I think I first need to see what exactly gets removed when I use the purgethread option in Vbulletin.

I do know I need all threads/posts from May 12, 2011 and before. I also know that I need this information inserted into the database all while keeping thecurrent threads/posts from May 13, 2011 to date.

Any help would be appreciated. ThanksPaul

Hello,It should be possible to modify the backup file to prevent anything fromoverwriting, but I will have to check the contents of the file to make sure ofthat.

Is this the backup file you wish to import?/backup/cpbackup/monthly/dbstuff/********/mysql/vbforum.sqlRegards,Dan

Thanks DanThat is the correct file.

Hello,I can modify the backup to disable the commands that would reset the tablesand run the import such that it will continue to import if it sees a duplicateprimary key.That should import any "missing" posts, as long as the forum hasntbeen trying to reuse that primary key range.

If that is not the case you will have to manually renumber the old posts inorder to import them.

Would you like me to try that?Regards,Dan
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X