Huge Spike in Guests/bots/spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Huge Spike in Guests/bots/spiders

Every since my upgrade to vB4.2, I have had a huge spike in guests online. Usually, I had about 700 guests online...right now I have 4496. Its making my who's online look crazy. The details of the setting I currently have are below. Also, 90% of my board is private and I have never had this problem before.

I have my session timeout set to 24 hours (the same as I had it before I upgraded to vB4 and didn't have any issues like this). I also have my "Enable the identification of search engine spiders." set to No. I also have the "Display Guest (non-registered user) activity on Who's Online?" set to No (yet it still displays)
    I am at a loss for whats goin on here still. Any help will be appreciated.
    Signature

Originally posted by hunter22375 View Post
    I have my session timeout set to 24 hours (the same as I had it before I upgraded to vB4 and didn't have any issues like this).
    Temporarily make it one hour.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Every since my upgrade to vB4.2, I have had a huge spike in guests online. Usually, I had about 700 guests online...right now I have 4496. Its making my who's online look crazy. The details of the setting I currently have are below. Also, 90% of my board is private and I have never had this problem before.

I have my session timeout set to 24 hours (the same as I had it before I upgraded to vB4 and didn't have any issues like this). I also have my "Enable the identification of search engine spiders." set to No. I also have the "Display Guest (non-registered user) activity on Who's Online?" set to No (yet it still displays)
      I am at a loss for whats goin on here still. Any help will be appreciated.
      Setting this too high can not only show the wrong amount of users online but it can also actually cause issues. In order to do this efficiently you need to do some modifications, for example I have done this before on a site where the time is set to 7 days (yes I said 7 days everyone ) and a few changes were required including scheduled tasks and file edits.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
      Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
      Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!
      Need a Host? - I recommend URLJet

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
        Setting this too high can not only show the wrong amount of users online but it can also actually cause issues. In order to do this efficiently you need to do some modifications, for example I have done this before on a site where the time is set to 7 days (yes I said 7 days everyone ) and a few changes were required including scheduled tasks and file edits.
        Sounds messy. Well, since I'm a novice at editing files, ect and I have never scheduled tasks in vB, I asssume I am in for a long ride. I wouldn't even know where to begin to search for this information.
        Signature

Comment

As beishe said, try setting that option temporarily to one hour.
          http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
          http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

Originally posted by Microsuck View Post
            As beishe said, try setting that option temporarily to one hour.
            But is that a permanent fix?
            Signature

Comment

A permanent fix may be able to be determined if we discover a temporary post first.
              http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
              http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

I just changed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Microsuck View Post
                A permanent fix may be able to be determined if we discover a temporary post first.
                I reduced the timeout session to 1 hour and I still have over 4500 guests on.
                Signature

Comment

I just changed it.

- - - Updated - - -

I reduced the timeout session to 1 hour and I still have over 4500 guests on.
                  It takes time for the users to not show in the session table even after a update . Please update us tomorrow if it's still showing too many.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                  Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                  Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!
                  Need a Host? - I recommend URLJet

Comment

I still have over 4500 guests on.
                    What are they doing? (Check with "Who's Online")

Comment

OK. Will update tomorrow.
                      Signature

Comment

It has been over night since I reduced the session timeout to 1 hour and my guests are now over 4700!!!!!!!!
                        Signature

Comment

It has been over night since I reduced the session timeout to 1 hour and my guests are now over 4700!!!!!!!!
                          Just again: What are they doing?

Comment

Not sure what you mean....I didn't know you could look to see what guests were doing.

- - - Updated - - -

I just clicked on the "4931 users online" under currently active users and it says 101 active users and 0 guests. The users were viewing various threads, ect.
                            Signature

Comment

If you are on your own server, you could simply restart the server and that will take it down to zero. You will then get an accurate idea of how many actual people are on your site. good luck.
                              Kether

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X