No announcement yet.

server host complaining vb queries are inefficient

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry. Late at night, got the URL wrong.

http://www.nimbushosting.co.uk is indeed correct. I've edited my post.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mary303 View Post
      ... I pay $75 per month (have been at that level for a long time.) A few months ago we negotiated a new arrangement, and I put it on HG to tell me what was going to work, given their history with my account, and what I was telling them about expected growth. I was prepared to consider a bigger account. They assured me this arrangement that *they* came up with would work for quite a long time. The server is shared - their choice - they call it mini-dedicated. My largest db, the one that is active, is 6120mb. (I have a copy on a test site, but it isn't being used.)
      At today's rates - 75.00 USD = 48.11 GBP. Holy crap, for shared hosting?! I don't pay much more than that for a higher end vPS with Nimbus that Mark's linked you to above...
      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
        Sorry. Late at night, got the URL wrong.

http://www.nimbushosting.co.uk is indeed correct. I've edited my post.
        Do they have a US # that you know of? I like very much what I see on their site. I have to get off HG as fast as possible. They can't keep the site up. I get what they are trying to do, but they are making an absolute hash of it, and poor communications - and my users are getting the bad end of it.

Also this still begs the question of the email surge when the email notifications go out. This is a brief but very large expansion of the resources needed for any site. It changes the requirements for a site like mine that otherwise fits very well inside the space allocated. If it were not for the way the emails go out - all at once, instead of being staggered - likely I would not be having problems right now. Why isn't this staggered? vB certainly knows the load it creates on server resources. It seems ridiculous to double the cost of server needs just for one function a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary303
          Do they have a US # that you know of? I like very much what I see on their site. I have to get off HG as fast as possible. They can't keep the site up. I get what they are trying to do, but they are making an absolute hash of it, and poor communications - and my users are getting the bad end of it.
          Drop an email to [email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Mary303
            Also this still begs the question of the email surge when the email notifications go out. This is a brief but very large expansion of the resources needed for any site. It changes the requirements for a site like mine that otherwise fits very well inside the space allocated. If it were not for the way the emails go out - all at once, instead of being staggered - likely I would not be having problems right now. Why isn't this staggered? vB certainly knows the load it creates on server resources. It seems ridiculous to double the cost of server needs just for one function a week.
            What are your settings under the options > email options in the admincp

There are some mail queue settings in there

Sent from my HTC One X using Forum Runner
            My Site: INFJs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant

At today's rates - 75.00 USD = 48.11 GBP. Holy crap, for shared hosting?! I don't pay much more than that for a higher end vPS with Nimbus that Mark's linked you to above...
              Bah ripoff I pay $99 or about £63 for a e3-1270 16gb ram dedicated server (OK OK it's unmanaged but yeah )

My Site: INFJs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deathjam View Post
                Bah ripoff I pay $99 or about £63 for a e3-1270 16gb ram dedicated server (OK OK it's unmanaged but yeah )

Yeah but Nimbus is made of awesomeness, it never goes wrong.

You don't half get used to never having your site go unexpectedly offline only to be told it's your own fault. I got so sick of that. Doesn't happen now ever since I went with Tim, first with his original company (which went downhill after he left) and now with Nimbus.

Comment

Host Gator

This gets me worrying as I am also running on hostgator servers...

Time to change?

Comment

vb optimize claims to cut back on mysql queries. Two more things you can do is follow as many steps as possible in my guide and try to enable cloudflare for your site (will only work with .www appended to the urls so use this to do that. )

Code:
                    ### BEGIN CLOUDFLARE REWRITE (domainB.com to www.domainB)
                    RewriteEngine on
                    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domainB.com$ [NC]
                    RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^80$
                    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domainB.com/$1 [R=301,L]
                    ### END CLOUDFLARE REWRITE ###################
                    And finally, one last thing to do after you have done all of the above is to make a thread here where eva2000, will more than likely be the person to respond to your thread.
                    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...-Configuration

Originally posted by Mary303 View Post
                    My server host is telling me that my forum "fits" into the account that was arranged for it, in terms of database size and traffic on the site. In fact, when this was set up several months ago they told me there was "plenty" of room for expansion. However, a recent problem is giving me doubts about either the host or the software - maybe both? About once a week when certain processes run the site is demanding too much server resources and it is automatically shutting down for several hours. The server host is specific "these are not space or memory limits, but actual processing power limitations."

Size-wise the site is almost at 2 million posts, but has only a few hundred users active on it at any one time. This outage occurs only when certain internal processes run, only about once a week. I am finding out how to turn off the notification email to users until a more permanent solution is determined (either a change in server account or a change in vBulletin.)

Host message included: " ... the sign of the need for some optimization of coding. Where it be some type of caching, or adding indexes to your database tables." Well, I don't code that stuff. I'm the software customer, not the developer.

Has anyone else run into this? Thoughts?
                    Not at all, I still use hostgator and I plan to make another 3 year renewal for their shared hosting

Originally posted by Pathum View Post
                    Host Gator

This gets me worrying as I am also running on hostgator servers...

Time to change?

Comment

I don't code. I don't mean "I don't want to code." I mean "I don't know how to code." It makes zero sense to think that I go from being a customer who buys working software, to one who becomes a developer as well. This is a fantasy of left-brained vendors who don't realize that their biggest customer potential is from people who specialize in things other than technology - that is, people who are right-brained and use the technology for staging.

The problem with a dedicated server is that the customer has to manage it. I researched this as extensively as I could when I was on the verge of dumping HG last fall and just couldn't find enough information or tutorials to feel confident I could trust a significant part of my business to the idea, especially on a hot cut, as it were. (That crisis was inspired by another customer service faceplant by HG, after which they offered the account package we settled on although I was willing to go bigger with another company.)

For some reason hosts don't seem to comprehend that the jump from shared to dedicated is too large in terms of skills required and cost. Double in both cases, at least. There need to be intermediate steps so the learning curve is not so steep and sudden. Couldn't even find manuals or classes on managing a dedicated server. Not much guidance from hosts, either.
                      Last edited by Mary303; Sun 1 Jul '12, 11:10am.

Comment

So here's a terrible question... how many plugins do you have installed in VB?
                        My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X