Banning spammers 4.2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banning spammers 4.2.2

Hi .. quick question .. forum running fine .. just wondering when I ban a spammer, can I also delete him, does the forum remember his ip so he cant rejoin ? or do I have to leave him as a 'banned member' in order to prevent him rejoining. ... Just trying to keep my stats clean of regular users .. TIA
    www.plantandconstruction.co.uk

It won't prevent the IP from rejoining no.
    Leave the user as banned, but most spammers are using dynamic IPs so as long as they use a different email address (which they always do) there's nothing to stop them signing up again.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      so as long as they use a different email address (which they always do) there's nothing to stop them signing up again.
      Yes I'm aware of that ..cheers fella .. just trying to keep useless members out of circulation, and was worried if I deleted them , they could just use the same ip to rejoin .. so best leave them as banned members then ? ... they arent hardcore spammers, just far east chancers

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmuz7 View Post

Yes I'm aware of that ..cheers fella .. just trying to keep useless members out of circulation, and was worried if I deleted them , they could just use the same ip to rejoin .. so best leave them as banned members then ? ... they arent hardcore spammers, just far east chancers
        As soon as you find out that they are "just far east chancers" delete their posts and remove them.
        As Mark mentioned email address and IP bans don't help against them.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Use one of the stop forum spam add on's from vbulletin org, and add them to stop forum spam when you ban them
          Set the ip check period to 90 days
          It should reduce spam by a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmuz7 View Post

Whether you delete them or not, they can still use the same IP address to sign up.

It's important to realise none of that makes the slightest difference to levels of spam. Spamming is very often done via bots, there usually isn't a human sat at the end of a computer that you can frustrate with IP and email bans. They have access to hundreds of thousands of IPs and email addresses, nothing you do on that score will make the slightest difference.

Even in those cases where a real person is behind it, they have many tools at their disposal and you could sit there all day trying to ban IP addresses and email addresses, it won't make any difference.

Good Q&A is the most effective tool to prevent spammers getting accounts in the first place.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

In my experience properly implemented Q&A are effective against spambots as they can't work things out or use google search like people can, they can only guess with their pre programmed set of answers

As for human spammers as already mentioned a good anti spam plugin like spam-o-matic will check their IP addresses against a database of known spammers and if their IP is in the database (and most are) they won't be able to register on your forum.

Comment

Ok thanks guys I do use 'stop forum spam' it eliminates thousands .. I'm just referring to what I think are humans

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X