Attachments not working after upgrade to 4.2 P1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Attachments not working after upgrade to 4.2 P1

After upgrading my admins including myself cannot attach a .zip to our posts. We were receiving the error that the maximum number attachments was 5 (when there was only 1 attached to the post.) Regardless, I set the limit to 0-unlimited.

This resulted in my admin receiving the error: HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

When I try to upload an attachment on a superadmin account the Manage Attachments window goes to a completely white blank page after a few seconds, no error.

This is extremely important, please help, thank you.

Are you using the Asset Manager or the legacy Attachment Manager?

Comment

I've attached a screenshot of the manager we're using.

As far as I can tell it has something to do with file size. The file we're trying to attach is a 9.5mb zip with an .exe setup file inside. The white window issue occurs when I try to upload anything over 9mb it seems. If I attach an older version of the setup file which is just under 9 it succeeds.

I have the attachment size limit for both exe and zip attachments set to 100mb, you can see the exe size limit in the screen.Click image for larger version

Name:	attachmentManager.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	3689379

- - - Updated - - -

Asset Manager Enable is set to Yes, Flash Upload by Default in the vBulletin Options, however clicking "manage attachments" still brings up the legacy manager you see in the screenshot above. Is this normal?

Comment

You're using the legacy Attachment Manager, that's good.

Check your php.ini settings:

Maximum file upload size

and

Maximum HTTP POST size

Comment

Searching for "php.ini" in my vBulletin dir shows no such file, closest matches are init.php files in install and includes dirs. Strange?

- - - Updated - - -

The search I did was on a local backup of an older version, perhaps thats why, looking through on the server for the php.ini.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't find the file, I must be misunderstanding your directions.

Comment

Sorry I should have been more clear.

The php.ini is a server file. What type of server do you have?

Comment

Is it only when trying to upload using the admin account that you have problems - regular users can upload just fine? Here is a page from the manual about troubleshooting blank or 'white' pages: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/blank_pages

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Only admins can upload these file types and we limit all standard member uploadable files to very small file sizes.

Our server runs apache I believe. I've been looking on the server for the php.ini, havent located it yet.

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify about the white page, I only get it when I try to upload a file over 10mb. Otherwise it goes through with no issue.

- - - Updated - - -

vbulletin-forumhome.js File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                vbulletin-read-marker.js File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                vbulletin-threadbit.js File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                vbulletin_global.js File not recognized as part of vBulletin

Comment

You may not have access to the php.ini file.

These server settings may also effect your attachment upload limits:

PHP Settings:
                  max_execution_time
                  memory_limit
                  post_max_size
                  upload_max_filesize
                  max_input_time

MySQL Settings:
                  max_allowed_packet
                  wait_timeout

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Sixense View Post
                    Our server runs apache I believe. I've been looking on the server for the php.ini, havent located it yet.
                    Sounds like you're on a shared server. If so I think you will need to email your web hosting service and ask if the php.ini limits can be raised. If not you would need to get a dedicated server where you have full control over these sort of settings.

Comment

Ive found phpinfo in our CNC and listed some information below, waiting for the host to get back to me about making changes. Does this lend any insight as to what the problem is?

If these values are in bytes which im assuming they are, the max upload size is set to 8mb. The issue seems to be happening between files 9-10mbs though. We've definitely been uploading attachments to posts over 8mb.

Directive Local Value Master Value

post_max_size 67108864 8388608
                      max_execution_time 45 20
                      memory_limit 67108864 8388608
                      max_input_time 60 60
                      upload_max_filesize 67108864 2097152

Comment

You found the problem. Most likely your web hosting service has reset these values recently hence why you suddenly cannot upload larger files.

Comment

I think perhaps there is a better way to host install files other than hosting them with vBulletin anyways.

Would either of you have suggestions for methods of hosting files publicly HTTP accessible while keeping our network as secure as possible? If you could point me to another community even that would be helpful.

Thanks both of you for your help through this!

Comment

About how many large files you talking about?

Comment

We currently only need to host a single ~10mb installer. This will likely be the case for some time.\

I'm not positive but I believe just hosting the file from a publicly accessible directory on our web server is not a very secure way to go about doing this. Which is why we have been uploading to threads on vbulletin.

Comment