No announcement yet.

Disable Activity stream for guests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Disable Activity stream for guests?

I'd like to disable the activity stream to Guests, but only allow them to see the announcements forum on my site. I know if I check the "No" box on "can view forum? option, they can't see the activity stream at all, but then they also can't see the forum either.

I'd like to know how to disable this for guests as well, if it's possible.

Comment

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ream-questions

Originally posted by Matthew Gordon View Post
      AFAIK, there is no way to configure it like that yet.

Comment

The activity stream only shows content that the user can see anyway.

Comment

admincp -> Navigation Manager -> What's New? -> Show Permission Name

Type in "member" without the quote. I did this and only signed in members will see the What's New? tab in the navi bar.
          Singapore Music Forum - www.soft.com.sg

Comment

Originally posted by softsingapore View Post
            admincp -> Navigation Manager -> What's New? -> Show Permission Name

Type in "member" without the quote. I did this and only signed in members will see the What's New? tab in the navi bar.
            And then set forums page as default!

Comment

Originally posted by s.molinari View Post

The "open" Activity Stream for guests is a total waste of server power, web page space and people's time, when they look at it for the first time. It needs a lot of work!

Scott
              What do you mean by "open" ??

I assume you mean what you get when you click the What's New tab?

Comment

Right. The current AS with all activity for everyone to see is practically worthless for users or guests and thus for vB admins/ owners too. It has potential though.

Scott
                I completely agree, in it's current form the Activity Stream is practically worthless. The main problem as I see it is the AS by default displays activity for everyone. I don't see a way to fix this problem without changing the fundamental way forums work.

Comment

Oh, I know it can be much more useful. We just need a much better system (similar to subscriptions) to follow activity around content and content categorization. That way, the activity stream can feed activity about the things people particularly want to know about. That and also get the stream more consolidated around the content and then it will start to get really interesting.

Scott
                  In 10 years of using vBulletin here and on my own forum, I have never used the subscription system. Viewing forums should be easy, I shouldn't have to subscribe to threads or forums to be able to find new content. The New Posts function works perfect for me as I suspect for the majority of users.

Comment

Then you must rely on the search all the time or browse each forum singularly.
                    The only time I use the Search is to look for posts from long ago that I want to copy text from. I never view forums directly. I rely solely on the New Posts to find new content.

Where as, the power in the Stream could be, it should know your interests, so the content you are really interested in comes to you automatically. It is just like "following" in Twitter or Facebook.
                    Facebook is much different, it only shows content from friends.

BTW, how do you get back to discussions to find those you've taken part in have been answered to by others?
                    When I click the New Posts link I can easily see by the little green arrows which threads I'm active in.

I go to the settings page all the time to see active subscribed threads. It is the best tool in vB and the Stream should be a much better extension of it.
                    I don't ever go to the settings page as I don't need to. Clicking the New Posts link gets me all the new content.

If you've never used subscriptions, you've missed out on one of the best parts of vBulletin IMHO and it is subscriptions that makes your forum as active as it is. The emails sent out are what bring the users back to participate again, and again, and again. In other words, turn off subscriptions and watch your forum die.

Scott
                    I know on my forum a great number of active users use the New Posts function, but I don't know the percentage between those that rely on subscriptions over the New Posts.

Comment

As I've said in a number threads, I would be against the Activity Stream only showing friends' activity. The friends feature is NOT widely used in vBulletin, and all you'd end up with is the stream not being used at all.

vBulletin is NOT Facebook. Whilst there's no harm in taking some of Facebook's ideas and adapting them to a forum environment, what is NOT needed is an effort to turn vBulletin-based forums into Facebook. It will fail. That's not what forums are about, and all you will do is drive people to the real Facebook because they are always going to do that sort of thing better.

vBulletin is discussion forums and that's how it should remain. Nothing wrong with a bit of social networking paraphernalia thrown in here and there, but let's stop with the "turn vBulletin into Facebook's poor relation" rhetoric. It won't work.

The activity stream is almost perfect as it is. It isn't meant to imitate Facebook, it is in effect just borrowing an idea from them and making it work well for forums.
                      Last edited by Mark.B; Mon 28th May '12, 10:07pm.
                      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.0 Demo
                      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Right. The current AS with all activity for everyone to see is practically worthless for users or guests and thus for vB admins/ owners too. It has potential though.

Scott
                        agreed. It needs to be more personalized and grouped.

Comment

Not true. You can also follow things too, for instance, by "liking" Facebook pages or adding them to your interests or joining/ using an app. Once that connection is made you are "following" them and you could (and most likely will) get feeds to your wall from those pages about new activities happening on those pages.
                          I don't Like pages or groups and I don't allow any apps in my Facebook settings. I choose to hide any content that is generated by apps. Many people hate Facebook because it's just too much data. I purposely choose to only see content created by my friends and avoid information overload.

What makes a social network work are the "connections" created in them and the only "connections" you have in vBulletin are subscriptions and making friends/ contacts and the general Activity Stream should be using those connections in vB to show a proper and interesting feed. If it did do that, you'd probably like the idea of the AS much, much more, because it feeds you tailored information about the activity around content you are interested in and not just.....everything. "What's new?" has its rightful place in vBulletin. But it isn't a feed and can't replace it either.
                          My forum doesn't have blogs, articles, CMS, albums, friends, groups and all that stuff. All the content are in posts. I've never had a member ask for the features just mentioned. It's very important to recognize that a forum is a place where great discussions can take place. For social networks, we use Facebook. I see that vBulletin is trying desperately to make their forum software more social, but IMHO that a huge waste of time. What vB should be doing is making the forum part of the software work better.

Then you probably don't frequent very active communities. If you have a community that has 100s of people writing posts, the answers to threads you've participated in get pushed down the list quite fast. So you'd possibly be missing a lot of answers and possibly good answers too and that is what the stream should be helping with. The new posts search results are good. A good feed should be a lot more useful.
                          No I only visit a few forums, none of them are so active that the New Posts function isn't usable.

Comment

I am not sure what we are arguing about here anymore.
                            We're not arguing at all. What we're having a is a very interesting conversation. That's what forums do best and social sites like Facebook do terribly.

Wouldn't it be neat, if content went social? Where the content, the subject matter, people are interested in comes to them and they don't have to go searching for it? That should be the basic premise of the Activity Stream (and a smart notification system).
                            Good content and discussions will never go social. It requires time to read and reply to and also requires like minded people to participate in. What I have concluded is that a forum attracts like minded people, for example on my forum the members are all motorcycle riders. On the other hand a social site like Facebook I have a group of friends, but very diverse, so conversations are always extremely short. Facebook is a place to share pictures and short stories. It's not a place to discuss in depth interesting subjects like we do on forums.

Ok, that explains your perspective and I understand it too.
                            I'm glad I was able to explain my perspective.

But the main goal of most communities is to attract more users.
                            That is a pipe dream. Most forums will get to a certain size and remain at that point indefinitely. Take vbulletin.com for example, the number of active user hasn't change in 10 years, yet it's a very important forum that is greatly enjoyed by those that are active members. Lots of great in-depth conversations shared by individuals that have a common interest.

And the more users a community has, the more unwieldy the Activity Stream gets. Thus, why this suggestion was made. A "see all activity" is just a waste of space and server power for the most part.
                            On a forum like mine (and I suspect on most other forums) the only difference between the New Posts and the Activity Stream is the Activity Stream shows every new post where the New Posts only shows the thread title of every new post. New Posts is much easier to read, the Activity Stream has information overload that is redundant, I don't need to see snippets of every new post because I just want to see which thread has new content and go to that thread to read it.

Comment

Unfortunately, none of the forums I visit (may be except vb.com...a little) are suited for ungrouped/not personalized activity steam. The amount of activity makes whats new/activity steam useless.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X