Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to restore english installation language / phrases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] How to restore english installation language / phrases?

Hi,
    I recently bought a version of Vbulletin 4.1.12. I tried to install the swedish english package. Afterwards I realized I wanted to keep the english language. Now I'm trying to put back the vbulletin-language.xml from the installation folder. It does not work, because when I look in the SQL database "phrase" I can still see a lot of phrases created by the swedish username Anders Pettersson.

I want to know how to clean the swedish language and phrases entirely and start over from scratch without re-installing Vbulletin.

I am using the suite version: CMS, Blog, and Forum.

How can I do this?

Kind regards
    Fredrik

Last post: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2054813

Comment

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
      I actually tried to do as your support suggested, but something is wrong in the SQL-syntax. I understand the logic, but I'm not a developer and don't want to mess around with something I don't fully understand. Can you please give me the correct syntax? I tried this one:

DELETE
      FROM phrase AS p1
      USING phrase AS p1
      LEFT JOIN phrase AS p2 ON ( p1.varname = p2.varname
      AND p2.languageid = -1 )
      WHERE p1.languageid =0
      AND p2.languageid IS NOT NULL;

But got this error:
      #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AS p1 USING phrase AS p1 LEFT JOIN phrase AS p2 ON (p1.varname = p2.varname AND ' at line 1

I run the following versions:
      • Apache/2.2.21 (Win64) PHP/5.3.8
      • MySQL klientversion: mysqlnd 5.0.8-dev - 20102224 - $Revision: 310735 $
      Last edited by Fred_J; Wed 16th May '12, 4:15am.

Comment

Do you use table prefixes in your database? That is to say, do you actually have a table named "phrase" or is it possibly something like "vb_phrase" ?

Comment

Do you use table prefixes in your database? That is to say, do you actually have a table named "phrase" or is it possibly something like "vb_phrase" ?
          No, unfortunetaly the table name is correct. It must be something else.

Comment

Make sure you have a backup of your database, that is step 1 before doing a any manual database edits...

Try this:

Code:
            DELETE
            FROM phrase AS p1
            AND p2.languageid = -1 )
            WHERE p1.languageid =0

Comment

Now I deleted the entire phrases in the database. After I tried to upload the original language file vbulletin-language.xml. But this file does not contain all the translations. Many phrases are missing. Can you please tell me what other files that contain translations. I get an error when trying to upload upgrade_language_en.xml.

Meanwhile I will try to install a fresh copy of Vbulletin and then backup the phrases table from the new copy and import into the old. But this seems like a "stupid" solution. There must be simpler ways. But after all, a solution is a solution if it is working.

Comment

Thank you! I will try this solution once I have done the above, and we can see if it works (if someone else bumps into the problem and do not want to do it the long way).

Comment

To install a fresh copy of the Vbulletin forum and export the phrase and phrasetype table and then import it into the old one worked!

Comment

Make sure you have a backup of your database, that is step 1 before doing a any manual database edits...

Try this:

Code:
                    DELETE
                    FROM phrase AS p1
                    AND p2.languageid = -1 )
                    WHERE p1.languageid =0

This command still returns an error message: #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AS p1 LEFT JOIN phrase AS p2 ON ( p1.varname = p2.varname AND p2.languag' at line 2

My problem is solved but I'm greatful for the help and can try out some more SQL lines to see if someone works (perhaps someone else will find it useful).

Comment

Good to hear that the problem is solved.
                      If I understand the reason you deleted/owerwrote the Master Language at first was that you didn't want your users to use other languages than your site's default language (Swedish).
                      This is easiest done by setting the option "Allow User Selection" to No. (Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager -> Edit Settings -> Allow User Selection -> set this to no.

Originally posted by Fred_J View Post
                      Now I deleted the entire phrases in the database. After I tried to upload the original language file vbulletin-language.xml. But this file does not contain all the translations. Many phrases are missing. Can you please tell me what other files that contain translations.
                      The language are located in several files. If I remember correct you have "/install/vbulletin-language.xml", "/install/vbulletin-adminhelp.xml", then there are phrases in each product in the folder "/includes/xml/product-vbblog.xml" & product-vbcmc.xml etc.

Even if you already solved your problem I thought this could be good to know.

I hope other things regarding the language works.

/Anders
                      Anders Pettersson
                      Don't send me requests by PM to email you the Swedish language file that I have done. My translation is only available here at vbulletin.com to licensed users.
                      If you want updates on when a new version of the Swedish language packs (forum & suite) are available, subscribe to this discussion.
                      Don't PM me for support on how to install language files etc. please post in the appropriate forum, that will most likely give you help quicker.

Comment

Well, actually I still have a problem. As you know I installed another forum version (a fresh one). However, in neither version I can't upload a language file and get it to work. And in the fresh version of Vbulletin I tested with the french xml language set that is available on the member area.

1. When I upload the french forum language file no new language is created (I choose the option "Create New Language). No new language is created when I do so. And afterwards I can't see any translations updated in the english default one. Is this a bug in the latest vbulletin version 4.1.12 or is it something wrong with my settings? (I run the forum localhost with the latest wamp server)

Btw: According to the progress bars and results in the AdminCP everthing goes fine without error messages!

2. The first time I tried with the swedish version I alos choose the option "Create New Language". No new language was created. However, after I had uploaded all the language pack for forum, cms, blog, etc. I could see the swedish translation but the english language was not there anymore. That's why I wanted to get back the english language.

Since I have tested to upload a language in a fresh version with a new database etc, what can be the problem?

Hope you can help me out here. Thanks!

Comment

At last!!!

It must be a bug in the VB-version. When I manually upload the file in the install directory on the server and use the option "import the XML file from your server" it works! But when I choose to upload the file from my computer, it doesn't work. The swedish version is up and running now and the enligsh is still intact!

Problem solved!

Comment

Sounds very strange.
                            I did a fresh install the other day localy (an alpha version), I also imported my language files and had no problems.
                            After you import the first language file there should appear a new language, either named as the name it has in its xml file or with the titla you can give it in the import options. For the additional language files you need to choose "owerwrite" in order for those phrases to be inserted in the same language.

Can't really advice anything else than try again and write down each step you do.
                            Since you run it locally no one can really have a look either.

/Anders
                            Anders Pettersson
                            Don't send me requests by PM to email you the Swedish language file that I have done. My translation is only available here at vbulletin.com to licensed users.
                            If you want updates on when a new version of the Swedish language packs (forum & suite) are available, subscribe to this discussion.
                            Don't PM me for support on how to install language files etc. please post in the appropriate forum, that will most likely give you help quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred_J View Post
                              At last!!!

It must be a bug in the VB-version. When I manually upload the file in the install directory on the server and use the option "import the XML file from your server" it works! But when I choose to upload the file from my computer, it doesn't work. The swedish version is up and running now and the enligsh is still intact!

Problem solved!
                              Good!
                              I apperantly wrote my previous at the same time as your last post.
                              Can it be a problem with the "upload" since you were running it locally?
                              Would be good if you test to do the same when you upload it to your server (actual site you are going to use) and see if it is the same problem and if so post a report i Jira.

/Anders
                              Anders Pettersson

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X