Leave Page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Leave Page?

After submitting a post/reply my users are getting a message that can be seen below. We are using 4.1.11 vB. Any idea what is causing this?

Yep... Your AJAX request is timing out for some reason. Usually a timeout with the server beyond the software's control. When the AJAX request doesn't submit properly, the software does a normal submission of the form and it triggers that box. They need to click Leave Page to have their post processed when it occurs. Since we really can't tell what triggers the act of leaving the page it is a difficult one to deal with.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Yep... Your AJAX request is timing out for some reason. Usually a timeout with the server beyond the software's control. When the AJAX request doesn't submit properly, the software does a normal submission of the form and it triggers that box. They need to click Leave Page to have their post processed when it occurs. Since we really can't tell what triggers the act of leaving the page it is a difficult one to deal with.
      Is this something I should contact my host about because it happens every time.

Comment

Probably want to run a trace using a tool like the NET panel of Firebug. However you can turn off AJAX if you with and eliminate the issue while your trying to troubleshoot. Does it happen in a test forum on the same server as well?

If you choose to turn off AJAX, you can do this under Settings -> Options -> General Settings. The major difference is the page has to reload after posting and other actions.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Wayne,

I contacted my host and here is what they are saying:

It's rather hard to believe that the AJAX calls are timing out - as this would imply a timeout on nearly everything else on your site as well.

Have you reviewed your error log? It looks like your vBulletin may be a bit confused as to which Directory it's installed into. As it's looking for files in:

/hsphere/local/raid/cuserich/website.net/

Instead of:

/hsphere/local/raid/cuserich/website.net/forum/
          I did change a few things around on the back end of my forum because some how I had multiple copies of the "forum" file. How can I redirect my forum to look for files in the /forum folder instead of the www.website.com/ folder?

Comment

Update your Forum URL under Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Wayne,

I updated that.

After making a new post now it is taking me to a blank white screen half the time, the other half I'm still getting that "leave page" message.

Any ideas?

Comment

White screens are usually indicators of PHP Errors or Timeouts. These should be logged in your PHP error log if your server is properly setup.

IN a typical PHP installation, there is a maximum of 30 seconds for a script to execute. When this time is done and the script hasn't finished for any reason, then you can get the white page. In the case of the editor it tries to resubmit and you get the dialog box above. Your scripts should almost always finish in 30 seconds on a properly configured server.

You can see what your max_execution time is set to in your AdminCP under Maintenance -> View PHP Info. You would have to scroll to see it. It should be the default of 30 seconds or more.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Here is what it shows:

max_execution_time 600
                  Last edited by CuseRich; Tue 10th Apr '12, 9:36am.

Comment

Any ideas? This is also causing a TON of double posts and it is driving people crazy.

Comment

The only thing is to try a default style with no parent while all your addons are turned off. Does it continue? If so, then turn off the AJAX functionality as stated above. Unless you can give the steps to recreate it predictably.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I experience this also from time to time on our forum and I noticed that when this "Leave page" appears the database is queued up with locked queries waiting to be served. As far as I could trace it, there was a "heavy" search query running, thus locking other users while posting.

Comment

Originally posted by mgyver View Post
                          I experience this also from time to time on our forum and I noticed that when this "Leave page" appears the database is queued up with locked queries waiting to be served. As far as I could trace it, there was a "heavy" search query running, thus locking other users while posting.
                          That doesn't make sense because the searching is done on another post and by default indexing of new posts is queued and not necessarily instant. Switching your tables to INNODB except for the search* tables should eliminate locks.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                            That doesn't make sense because the searching is done on another post and by default indexing of new posts is queued and not necessarily instant. Switching your tables to INNODB except for the search* tables should eliminate locks.
                            Everything is InnoDB except from the search tables.
                            I'll recheck my settings...

Comment

Well, we had the "Queue Search Updates" set to "No" so I think it makes sense now...

Comment