No announcement yet.

Upgrade from 3.8 to 4.0 - significant drop in pages viewed and posts created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Upgrade from 3.8 to 4.0 - significant drop in pages viewed and posts created

On the 16th of February 2012 we upgraded our website from 3.8 to 4.0. The very next day we started seeing a significant drop in certain metrics:

• Time on site
    • Pages / visit
    • Posts created

This drop hasn't recovered but has leveled and remained consistent, however traffic has remained unaffected.

Our initial guess is that it is a site speed issue and that we need to make tweaks to improve speed, but is there anything else that could be causing this?

Sorry to bump, but has anyone experienced any similar issues?

Comment

Hi, link to your forum might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Wallington View Post
        On the 16th of February 2012 we upgraded our website from 3.8 to 4.0. The very next day we started seeing a significant drop in certain metrics:

• Time on site
        • Pages / visit
        • Posts created

This drop hasn't recovered but has leveled and remained consistent, however traffic has remained unaffected.

Our initial guess is that it is a site speed issue and that we need to make tweaks to improve speed, but is there anything else that could be causing this?
        The overall function of VB3 and VB4 is a bit different and causes the metrics to be a bit different anyway. What was considered a page view in VB3 may not be in VB4. Such as clicking of AJAX links, which aren't recorded as clicks or views.

Anyway, a link to your site will help determine if anything is wrong from a public facing side (or at least another geographical viewing location)
        To be updated...

Comment

Thank you - you're right, the link would help! www.thestudentroom.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Wallington View Post
            Thank you - you're right, the link would help! www.thestudentroom.co.uk
            Cliicking around your site (in the forum portion) doesn't feel that sluggish. It's a heavy site anyway, you've got a lot loading.

Average loads times for me in Japan (forums page) Anywhere from 4.1 seconds to 6.7. I notice a large bit of lag time on the initial server connect/response.
            Full Load, No Cache = ~6-7 seconds. -- Cached Loading: 4.1-5.2 seconds.

You may want to get Eva2000 to take a look at your server configuration to improve performance overall. (Server configuration forum)

My highest recommendation is optimizing the server both web & db. Other than that, the site loads good and I don't find any glaring errors.

I've attached a screen capture of the connecting lag....
            Attached Files
            To be updated...

Comment

36 million posts nearly 1 million members. What hosting do you have?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X