Internet Explorer users unable to post on my forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Internet Explorer users unable to post on my forum

Ever since the upgrade to the latest version of vB, IE users have had trouble posting on my forum as the editor is greyed out. I've checked everything at this stage, reset (even deleted) the mobile style, disabled all of the plugins, and the hooks system entirely, deleted all of the styles, re-uploaded everything, etc, etc. Still no go for many users. One user has provided the following error, but that doesn't lead to anything obvious either. Any help?

Code:
    Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE  8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR  3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR  1.1.4322; .NET4.0C; Tablet PC 2.0; MS-RTC LM 8)
    Timestamp: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:07:52 UTC

Line: 134
    Char: 2199
    Code: 0
    URI: http://foot.ie/clientscript/ckeditor...A7HG4HT&v=4110

It seems that...

IE 7 = Greyed out editor, but works with compatibility mode. After I clear the browser cache, it works fine in either mode.
    IE 8 = Works fine on normal mode.
    IE 9 = Works fine on normal mode.

(This test is done on the edit signature page, since you moderate new accounts.)
    To be updated...

Comment

I am having the same issue since upgrading from 4.1.7 to 4.1.10. The problem seems to be IE8 and IE7. I see the same JavaScript errors. I haven't had a chance to test IE7 but on IE8 the page works correctly in compatibility mode and does not work in normal mode.

IE8 does work if the editor is set to WYSIWIG mode in normal mode as well.

I see the same error on the same line for ckeditor.
      --
      Mark

Comment

Surprised more people aren't complaining about this, considering it's happenning on the equivalent of a stock install. I've had weirdness with my vB install before caused by upgrades though, so I'm wondering is there something fundamental wrong with my database that's causing it. I can't think what though. Hoping the coming update will correct it, otherwise I'll have to Take Measures.

Comment

If you go to:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

Are any files in the clientscript directory listed there for any reason?
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
          - "Quick Route" Interface...
          - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Hi Trevor. I went through that before and deleted everything surplus, however there is one file (post_thanks.js) from the Post Thank You hack. I didn't think this would be included when the hack was disabled though? Should I try taking it out of the equation?

Comment

Disabling modifications doesn't remove their files, it simply switches them off. If you've disabled it, you could delete it's files temporarily and see if you still get the same error.
              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
              - "Quick Route" Interface...
              - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Trying that, thanks.

MarkFromMn, do you have the Post Thank You hack by any chance?

Comment

Did you have the same IE trouble on your test server? If not, are you running Apache on one and IIS? Just curious if the environments are the same?

Dahamsta - btw..Wouldn't it be cool if by including someone's user ID in a post, article, blog, calendar, etc. that they would be notified like fb and others.
                  Last edited by Glenn_E; Mon 27th Feb '12, 2:54pm.
                  WestCoastGearHeads.com vb 4.1.10

Comment

Ok, so I've upgraded to the latest version, disabled hooks, removed all of the plugins files and I'm using the standard vB template. Users are still unable to post on my forum. I've received dozens of complaints at this stage, and my ad revenue is tanking. How do I resolve this?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	error3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	3686917
                      Jason Craig Partner
                      Wet Coast Sports LTD
                      Fishing Reviews TV BC Fishing Reports Fly Fish BC Fly Tying Bug

Comment

It strange because it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.
                        Jason Craig Partner
                        Wet Coast Sports LTD

Comment

Doesn't work at all for my users, they have to use another browser. Some of them obviously aren't bothering, it's slowly killing my site. If it was just IE6 it wouldn't be a problem, but it's been right across IE 7, 8 and 9. And only IE.

oddmud, do you have a point, and if so am I supposed to guess it?

Comment

Originally posted by dahamsta View Post
                            oddmud, do you have a point, and if so am I supposed to guess it?
                            What? I too am having IE issues, now that I looked at your site they are different issues.
                            Jason Craig Partner
                            Wet Coast Sports LTD

Comment

Could you not have said that instead of just posting a screenshot with zero context? I hadn't a clue what you were on about.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X