Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New spam user registeration every 10 minutes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] New spam user registeration every 10 minutes.

Three days ago I was getting a new spam user registration every ten minutes so, I changed all of my human verification questions but the registrations just kept coming. I decided to turn off new user registrations for a full three days, hoping the problem would go away. Today I turned registrations back on and I had three new spam user registrations in the frst half hour.

What could be causing this? Wouldn't this have to be a bot? Am I suppose to believe that actual people sat and waited three days for me to turn registrations back on AND knew exactly when I did it?

I just upgraded to 4.1.10 last week.
    Chuck
    SiriusBuzz.com

I'm getting a ton of them, too. I'm not sure how to stop it. I wish there was a way to stop all registrations from India.
    Tony
    http://www.allBowling.com
    If bowling websites were a bowl a mixed nuts, this site is the cashews!

Comment

New spam user registeration every 10 minutes.

I use key kapcha, did not have one spam registration from the start.
      You have to complete a image by moving parts of the image like a puzzle.
      Spambots have no answer for that (yet)
      You can find it in the vB 4 mods topic at vBuletin.org

Comment

It *might* have something to do with Facebook integration registration. I'm looking into that.
        Tony

Comment

My site is just new, hardly any traffic but i'm getting a few really weird username registrations every day. I think it's a spambot but they don't spam anything. What would be the point?

Comment

Most of my spam registrations are completing a signature. My guess is that they are doing this to improve search engine rankings... the most pages that link to their retarded website, the higher their page is ranked. Remember, each user get their own profile page and that displays their signature.
            Tony

Comment

I think this has to do with the Facebook login. I have another forum without Facebook connect and don't have this problem.

Comment

Here are some tips to prevent spammers from registering.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-on-your-forum

Comment

Ive got a forum that has been getting hammered for a couple months now ... I did have an open registration forum and one day I awoke to 5000+ spam post and it took me a couple hours to clean up the miss. Since then I have installed a few mods, so now 99.9% of them dont get through. I also installed a mod to disable signatures until 20 post so they can no longer do that too.

Most of the spammers register with emails like b.i.llma.r.c.us.s.enjr @ ... with a bunch of dots. I would love to keep these bots totally off my site. I've ran a few searches and they appear to be in Thailand, but that could be a proxy. Anyone know for sure where this idiot is at?

Comment

I have found it helpful to disalble new users to my forum from editing their profile boxes and posting. All the posts go into Moderation. When I do ban, I ban the IP addresses too. I only have 1 or 2 coming in a day as opposed to like 10 or 15 coming in a day. My forum has not even been up for a month.

I do not connect my forum to FB.
                    Thank you,
                    Anathama Sit

Comment

Originally posted by chaz7979 View Post
                      Three days ago I was getting a new spam user registration every ten minutes so, I changed all of my human verification questions but the registrations just kept coming. I decided to turn off new user registrations for a full three days, hoping the problem would go away. Today I turned registrations back on and I had three new spam user registrations in the frst half hour.

What could be causing this? Wouldn't this have to be a bot? Am I suppose to believe that actual people sat and waited three days for me to turn registrations back on AND knew exactly when I did it?

I just upgraded to 4.1.10 last week.
                      Just checked your registration form and you have Q&A enabled, that should keep out the bots. Are you sure it's not human spammers that are registering? Better to moderate new registrations than turn them off all together.

Comment

Get the Stop Forum Spam addon by glowhost at vb.org. I get no more spambot registrations. For me it's be 100% effective.

Comment

Originally posted by bamaster View Post
                          Most of my spam registrations are completing a signature. My guess is that they are doing this to improve search engine rankings... the most pages that link to their retarded website, the higher their page is ranked. Remember, each user get their own profile page and that displays their signature.
                          Can you post a link to the plugin... I have one but I'm not sure it's working.

Comment

Originally posted by princesspepper View Post
                            Can you post a link to the plugin... I have one but I'm not sure it's working.
                            http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042
                            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by J362449454FF View Post
                              I use key kapcha, did not have one spam registration from the start.
                              You have to complete a image by moving parts of the image like a puzzle.
                              Spambots have no answer for that (yet)
                              You can find it in the vB 4 mods topic at vBuletin.org
                              I am going to give that a go

- - - Updated - - -

I've got that one It doesn't delete signatures though

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X