Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Two Forums

Hello,

I have recently installed the vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite on my website; and I plan on having a multi language forum. I want to have two of every board - one in English and one in another language, let's say Hebrew. So for example, there will be an English "General Discussion" and a Hebrew "General Discussion". And so on.

What I would like to have is all the English boards be visible on one page and all the Hebrew boards be visible on another page. In other words, I would like each to act as full forums of their own. When I were to go to the English forum page, I would like to see what you see when you first go to forum.php (where you see the entire forum), only without the Hebrew boards. Likewise, when I were to go to the Hebrew forum page, I would like to see the same thing, except no English boards.

Can this be done and if so, how would I go about doing so?

Thank you in advance.

Create two forums/categories.. English and Hebrew.

Create all the English forums as children of English and the Hebrew Forums as children of Hebrew. Then instead of going to forum.php, you would go to forumdisplay.php?f=X where X is either the id for English or Hebrew.

If you use the mod_rewrite url functionality the links can look like /forums/1-English or /forums/2-Hebrew.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I have tried this approach already, but there are a few issues I have with it.

1) The sub-forums do not show on the main forums page (when no get variables are set). This is despite the fact that I have set Depth of Forums - Forum Home, Depth of Forums - Forum Display and Depth of Sub-Forums all to 5.

As a test case, I have created a category called "Boards 1" (let's assume this will be renamed to "English" later on) with a child board called "Main Forum" and a child category called "Test4" (that is, Test4 is a child of Boards 1). Test 4 itself has a board (its child) called "Test5". When I go to the main page, I only see Boards 1 with children Main Forum and Test4. With the aforementioned settings, I would expect to see Test5 also appear. Test5 is only a grandchild of Boards 1. I'd think that with this, all boards up to great-great grandchild boards of Boards 1 should be displayed too.

2) Another, but smaller issue is that the "What's Going On" section does not show up when I go to the page of "Boards 1". Now I understand that this is because you are taken to forumdisplay.php when you click that, but it would be nice to have that section display ONLY in the case of "Boards 1" and a future "Boards 2" - in other words, the highest level child "forums" (in this case, categories) of the forum.

Comment

For #1:

By default, vB only allows a forum depth of 2 to be dispayed (this includes categories.) To change this:

1. Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options -> Depth of Forums -> Forum Home -> 3

2. Manually create new templates to increase the forums displayed. You have to add template forumhome_forumbit_levelx_post and template forumhome_forumbit_levelx_nopost for each level past 2, replacing the x with the level number. For instance:

forumhome_forumbit_level3_nopost
        forumhome_forumbit_level3_post
        etc.

Copy the contents of the other templates ('1' or '2') into these new templates. Then change the 'Depth of Forums' setting in the Admin CP to the appropriate number.

Repeat as necessary for whatever depth you want.

---

You'll need custom programming for #2.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Ok. Thank you.

I'd like to make some more customizations on #1. I want to make it so any level 2 "forums" that are actually categories are displayed with the same header styles as the level 1 categories. In other words, I want those categories displayed under a blue header.

I seem to have found the right HTML code for it, but I'm having trouble finding vBulletin's variable for checking if a forum has been told to act as a forum or not. That's really all I need: being able to determine the value of a forum's "act as a forum" option.

As for #2, by custom programming, do you mean editing the display pages' templates in the template editor? I'd think the key thing I would need is to know which board I'm viewing - so if I can take the "get variable's" value (from the URL) and then be able to obtain information on that particular category or board, especially what level it is, then it would just be a matter of copying the code from one of the home templates that displays all the "What's going on" information and putting it inside a conditional that would basically check if the top most "forum" I'm viewing has been told not to act as a forum and is a level 1.

Comment

You can make changes to the display by editing templates.

By custom programming, I mean PHP programming.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

With regard to my first question, is there a variable that tells me if the forum has been told to act as a forum? This way, I could determine if the forum is a category or not.

And with regards to PHP programming, just to be clear, you are talking about editing the actual files of the software - the actual PHP files, as opposed to any sort of built-in editors in the admin section?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X