Major Issues with SPAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Issues with SPAM

OK... So here's the deal... I have close to 30 new accounts being made on my forum every day. It's so many that I can't weed out the real accounts. I've tried all the standard SPAM protective actions. I have two challenge questions set up that are like this.... What is the name is the shark in JAWS. The answers are not basic answers and I'm still getting all these registrations. The problem was fixed for a while but now it's back. I'm wondering if someone hacked into the site and left soft sort of script in the system that generates accounts automatically. There is no way this is a manual thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A link to your forum would help.

Comment

Change your Questions and answers for a while every day.
      Any better?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Thanks so much for the response! Here's my forum - http://www.killerreviews.com/forums/forum.php . I changed questions, the next day when to the captcha and neither helped. I'll change questions right now.

Comment

Are you running any kind of "stop forum spam" integration?
          That you can set to block known ip's and email addresses

Comment

Originally posted by Lee G View Post
            Are you running any kind of "stop forum spam" integration?
            That you can set to block known ip's and email addresses
            I am not, no. I just updated the human verification system with two new questions this morning and I already got four new spam registrations with the hour. So frustrating...

Comment

For Question and Answer to be effective, you need 20-30 questions entered into the system. The questions will be used randomly. These questions need to be specific to your site and its topic. Using a generic question like "What is the name of the shark in JAWS" is not going to be effective.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

We have "Glow Host Spam-O-Matic" installed (from vbulletin.org) and it works great. No more spam. In addition we have a ton of banned email addresses to stop spammers (most of ours were coming from vietnam so had @yahoo.com.vn emails. Lastly, we use blockscript.com's blockscript and it blocks all proxies, vpns, hosting netblocks, etc - which spammers usually use so they can't get to our site in the first place now.

Comment

Originally posted by gdumont View Post
                  Thanks so much for the response! Here's my forum - http://www.killerreviews.com/forums/forum.php . I changed questions, the next day when to the captcha and neither helped. I'll change questions right now.
                  Just checked your register page and your question "What is five plus three, answer with a single number" is no good, bots are programmed to guess common answers to questions like numbers between 0 and 9, yes, no colors etc as mentioned above your questions should be specific to your niche but not so difficult that your users can't answer.

Comment

A lot of GREAT info here. Thank you so much for all your input. I'll look into some of these solutions. Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      For Question and Answer to be effective, you need 20-30 questions entered into the system. The questions will be used randomly. These questions need to be specific to your site and its topic. Using a generic question like "What is the name of the shark in JAWS" is not going to be effective.
                      Well, if my questions get too specific and obscure then I'm alienating the general user that wants to sign up to the forum. I know what you're saying it just not even close to being ideal. I mean... It's a bot that is creating accounts, not 50 people a day or even one person signing up over and over. Any chance I was hacked and have a script running on my server?

Comment

StopForumSpam usually is sufficient to block any automated spammers.
                        I use vbulletin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X