X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace
    replied
    Yes.

(When you install vbulletin, it reads from the files that you uploaded and inserts all the data into the database. That's what I mean by "If you installed onto the database, it will still be installed on the database once it is restored to the new location.)

Leave a comment:

• GamerPerfection
    replied
    What do you mean installed it "on" the database?

I created the database on my laptop, changed the settings in the config file then installed the vbulletin. So if I then export the database, transfer the database to my PC, then go to my web server, set up the database and import the database then it will work?

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    If you installed it on the database, then it will be installed when you restore the database.

Leave a comment:

• GamerPerfection
    replied
    Sorry just to re-add.... when i move the site from the PC to the server I can just move the vbulletin file structure and import the database and it works? or i need to actually install vbulletin on the server then import the database?

Leave a comment:

• GamerPerfection
    replied
    Ah ok thanks for that. Hopefully it should go smoothly then.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by GamerPerfection View Post
    Is it as simple as backing up the database and exporting the style, then installing vbulletin on to my PC and importing the database and style. Then it will work on my PC as it does on my laptop? (including moving all relevant image files etc). All the changes I did to the templates on the laptop version will have replicated on the PC version once i've imported the database and style?
    The style is contained in the database. When you restore the database backup onto your laptop, the style will be there.

Originally posted by GamerPerfection View Post
    What if I am using one licence for the test site but when i make it go live it's on a different licence? Will it cause any issues if the database and style etc was set up using the old licence?
    Nope. Not standard vB anyway. Some addons (Photopost springs to mind) have a license check that needs the license number for your vB files, but no issues with stock vB.

Leave a comment:

• GamerPerfection
    replied
    When you say move everything to the server, do you mean just move all the vbulletin structure as it is to the server? I thought that never works and it always requires a vbulletin install?

Normally I get support when I post questions here.

Leave a comment:

• DAMINK
    replied
    lol asked the same question mate and got no answer from the support or community here but got **** loads of views to thread.
    Not surprised really as well support is **** here. And members done help unless you ask a question never asked ever before in vb.
    Mate if you are able to get your test server working then all you need to do is move everything over to server.
    Then import database and you should be good to go. Assuming the domain is the same as the licence crap other wise cookie issues will result.
    I did use a sub domain to allow propergation so i could ftp properly so thats worth a thought.
    But if a new domain then just setup dns first. Once propergated then just ftp everything and import and you should be good to go.

Leave a comment:

• GamerPerfection
    started a topic [CMS] Transferring test site to server

Transferring test site to server

I got a question which I should know the answer to but it's been such a long time since i worked on a test site.

I've built a test site on my laptop using xampp as the localhost. So I have the site set up with a database and customised style.

Before I put it up online I need to move the site from my laptop to my PC.

Is it as simple as backing up the database and exporting the style, then installing vbulletin on to my PC and importing the database and style. Then it will work on my PC as it does on my laptop? (including moving all relevant image files etc). All the changes I did to the templates on the laptop version will have replicated on the PC version once i've imported the database and style?

Then getting it on the internet is the same process? I install vbulletin on to the server and import the database and style?

Is there anything i'm missing?

EDIT : also to add to this question....

What if I am using one licence for the test site but when i make it go live it's on a different licence? Will it cause any issues if the database and style etc was set up using the old licence?
    Last edited by GamerPerfection; Wed 8 Feb '12, 2:26am.