Should I include database prefix in database name in config.php

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Should I include database prefix in database name in config.php

Waiting for my files to upload on my slow connection.

I'm installing for the first time.

I'm confused in the config.php file. The config file ask for database name. I entered it with the prefex of the database name.
    The next line ask for the prefix which causes me to believe that perhaps I shouldn't have included in the database name?

Thanks for the clarification.

Where if Fantastico when I need. Kidding

As I feared I'm running into problems because I don't know what to put in the config.php file.

I've read some forum post here. One even said I should use my web host manager login name or root but I use the password for the database user I crated for the database? Surely that can't be right.

I've tried every combination I can think of and I can't get past denied access to the mysql database.

So please let me know with or without the database prefix and which login/password combination.

I'm going to go kick my monkey or something. Nawww better not, she bites back.

Comment

The database prefix determines what prefix the tables that are created upon installation will have.

It is not necessary, but is a good idea, in case you have (or will have) other tables in that db.
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

okay thanks Ace but what do I put in the config.php file

['Database']['name'] = 'forum'; with or without the prefix name here prefix_databasename or databasename

['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root'; which login the FTP login, the root login or the password I created for the intended database? if i login with putty I can't do anything with root, i have to change to another account.
        ['MasterServer']['password'] = 'password'; which password database password, ftp, root, other?

Thanks

I created a database. Was that wrong? Is the install trying to do that for me?

Comment

When you created the database, did you also create a user and assign it permissions?

['Database']['name'] = the name you gave to the database

['MasterServer']['username'] = the name you gave the user

['MasterServer']['password'] = the password you gave the user
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

That is what I'm using.

I created and gave it full permissions.

I'm entering the database user name in with the prefix since that is what I've done with other installs.

I'm getting a different error now. The server is configured correctly as I've installed things before, phpbb, wordpress, smf, simpleress and others

Database connection failed due to unexpected error:
            (1046) No database selected
            Please ensure that the database and server is correctly configured and try again.

Maybe you or someone knows exactly what is causing that in the config file?

Thanks again

Comment

Is there something in this bit?

$config['Database']['dbname'] = '';

Comment

yep but now I think that might be the problem I changed 'dbmane'

$config['Database']['prefix_database_name'] = 'forum';

I'm going to go ahead and change that to what i think it should be. I'm guessing [] tells php to look for a defined variable. Its been 20 years since I took a programming class. I'm only guessing

Comment

Maybe just start with a fresh config.php?

(and yes, you can't change anything in the variable names, your input goes within the '' before the ; in each line.)

Comment

Okay, I'm in. I got the begin install button.

Let me see what confuses me next.

Thanks

Comment

That seems incredibly obvious to me now.

When you posted that line, my COBOL class from 20 years ago flashed for just a moment. Thanks.....

Hope I didn't mess up the cookie setting.

When I clicked the dropdown there were no options. since I do have a subdomain I did enter a custom: .domainname.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X