Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Moving Host

I am in the process of moving host.
    No big deal however i want to setup a new copy of vBulletin on the new host and test to make sure its running properly before updating database changing name servers.
    The new host is using the same domain name as previously.
    Now i can just install doing everything default but i wont be able to login based on the domain not working as i will have to access via ip address until i setup nameservers.
    I know i am allowed one test forum under the same domain but having to access one via ip will that trigger vB as not on the correct domain?
    Or do i just use the ip address as the cookie domain until i have setup nameservers?

Thanks DAMINK.
    FTW Forum <- Home of the damned!

As always thanks to nobody helping me.
    I ended up fixing this myself.
    May this be a lesson to all.
    If you buy vb forum only and not support they will leave you with your problems and no one will care.
    50 views on this thread and not a single reply.
    Thankfully i fixed the problem all be it in a problematic way.
    I used a sub domain to set it up sort of. But could not actually test everything so had to move the dns servers for my live site over.
    Yes it took a day of screwing around and errors to the max. But thats the only way i could resolve it given i got no advice from the staff or memebers here.
    In the future i will not ask vb for advice instead i will just run a nulled version to test then move my paid site over.
    I suggest anyone in the same situation does the same as vb support for the people that did not pay enough to get it will get **** all.

Comment

there is plenty of how to's here to read

Comment

Yea thanks heaps TheNewOne.
        I asked so why is it so hard to answer?
        Seriously i hate vb for its lack of support. I really do.
        When i purchased i was under the impression of support. Now obviously **** all.
        If it was not for such a strong product i would tell everyone at vb to **** off.
        I really would man.

Comment

Moving Host

Search. Honestly, do you come on here enough to see the insane number of questions that have been answered 500 times? The questions that make no sense? The questions that anyone with a forum to run should know?

The forum support is voluntary by the community and the vB staff if they have the time. Licensed customers needing true support need to file a ticket, this has always been the case.

Folks seem to think that it is all simply download and run, and that there will be no technical items to deal with. This may be the case much of the time, but is it is surely not all of the time. There is a basic understanding of how things work (hosting, database, DNS, etc...) that "should" be possessed by anyone running a forum, Wordpress, or other site that is not simply HTML. The search function is invaluable, and many who answer questions and provide help don't surf threads that are a day old or more (ever watch how fast a thread drops off page one here?) There are many qualified folks who do reply and try to help, but if it is basic and been answered many times before, it may go unanswered or just be unseen due to post volume on the board.

Enjoy your nulled version approach, and when you get caught, enjoy the ramifications (albeit, it seems as if the anti privacy diligence once held by vB is no more).

Comment

You tell him to search, but it really wouldn't have hurt anyone to respond to his thread, especially the staff.
            http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/gp-bar.png http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/facebook-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/twitter-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/youtube-32.png

Comment

Originally posted by GamerPerfection View Post
              You tell him to search, but it really wouldn't have hurt anyone to respond to his thread, especially the staff.
              With all the other non-abusive people asking questions, people probably were more inclined to help them.
              My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMINK View Post
                Yea thanks heaps TheNewOne.
                I asked so why is it so hard to answer?
                Seriously i hate vb for its lack of support. I really do.
                When i purchased i was under the impression of support. Now obviously **** all.
                If it was not for such a strong product i would tell everyone at vb to **** off.
                I really would man.
                sending me that pm will not help did not like what was said in it I tried to help you and got that pm back. PM has been reported

Comment

Originally posted by PossumX View Post
                  Search. Honestly, do you come on here enough to see the insane number of questions that have been answered 500 times? The questions that make no sense? The questions that anyone with a forum to run should know?
                  Yes i have noticed. Does not mean that threads should remain unaswered. It makes vb look bad as a whole.
                  Why cant someone just post a link to a thread if they know it exists?
                  The whole YOU MUST SEARCH has gone to far. I got told to search a specific problem i had recently. Turns out i was first to post a help thread with no reply.
                  How ironic i get told to search and at that time i would have had to search into the future!
                  As for knowing based simply on the fact i run a forum.... well look bro thats not my job. I work fulltime and have 4 kids under 6.
                  Dedicating time to learning code or what not is hard for me. No question. But my forum is a hoby of mine. You need to understand that.

Originally posted by GamerPerfection View Post
                  Exaclty GamerPerfection. Thats exactly what i have been trying to say for a long time here.

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                  With all the other non-abusive people asking questions, people probably were more inclined to help them.
                  My post remained up for days with no reply. Ironically it was only when it got heated did people such as yourself reply. Not before so your 100% backwards on that.

Originally posted by TheNewOne View Post
                  sending me that pm will not help did not like what was said in it I tried to help you and got that pm back. PM has been reported
                  How did you attempt to help TheNewOne?
                  You did not answer in any way to help at all. In fact your answer was worse than not answering at all.
                  As for reporting me....... Shakes head in discust at TheNewOne. We have a name for people that do that in Australia.

Comment

DAMMIK, to be completely fair, your request is nothing something within the scope of vBulletin support. If you need to be able to access your website outside of a domain name, that is a question for your webhost.

We only sell the software. If you were having a problem running the software on the new site, that is something we could help with.

For future reference here is a guide to moving servers: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/moving_servers

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                      DAMMIK, to be completely fair, your request is nothing something within the scope of vBulletin support. If you need to be able to access your website outside of a domain name, that is a question for your webhost.

We only sell the software. If you were having a problem running the software on the new site, that is something we could help with.

For future reference here is a guide to moving servers: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/moving_servers
                      Thankyou Zachery for the reply.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X