No announcement yet.

when i googled my forum name, view user profile pages came up in search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] when i googled my forum name, view user profile pages came up in search

Hello,

When I googled my forum name, it showed a few pages for viewing user profiles. That doesn't seem like something that I should have on my forum, as it opens members' profile pages up to anyone who googles for the forum.

Is there a way to change this? Should I make all user profile pages only available to registered users?

Basically, I just don't want them to appear in a normal google search I guess.

Have a look in usergroup "unregistered not logged in" and check the setting for "can view member info" in "general settings".
    <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

Or you can put robots.txt on your server if you don't want robot's to access profiles but do want guests.

Comment

ok, great. Thank you both.

How would I specify that in a robots.txt file, if I don't want them to access the user profile pages?

Comment

It is only necessary to do as I advised.

Comment

Originally posted by rhender View Post
            ok, great. Thank you both.

How would I specify that in a robots.txt file, if I don't want them to access the user profile pages?
            Disallow: /forums/member.php

Source: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249710

Comment

Originally posted by josiah View Post
              It is only necessary to do as I advised.
              Removing the permission to view profiles, doesn't actually make the page invisible and it will still be indexed. What shows would be a No Permission page instead of the user's profile though. So they can still be indexed and still show in the rankings.

Using the robots.txt file tells the search engine bot to disregard any pages with that URL so they are not indexed at all.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                Removing the permission to view profiles, doesn't actually make the page invisible and it will still be indexed. What shows would be a No Permission page instead of the user's profile though. So they can still be indexed and still show in the rankings.

They are viewable then by searchbots ?

Comment

The URL is viewable by search bots. However instead of a User's Profile, they would get a No Permission page. The No Permission page would be indexed.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by josiah View Post
                    Have a look in usergroup "unregistered not logged in" and check the setting for "can view member info" in "general settings".
                    I had this same problem a few years back and used this method with the usergroups. I also used the free Google webmaster tools. Within days all member profiles started to disappear from search. I didn't have to use the robots.txt method but both make sense. Just my experience.

Comment

Great. Thank you all for the great replies. I think I have plenty of information here to make my decision now.

Really it seems that both methods would work fine for what I need.

I'll probably go with the robots.txt file, just so that the user profile pages are not indexed at all.

So it looks like I don't have a robots.txt file at all right now. SO I just create one, and then add the text exactly as Donald said?

Disallow: /forums/member.php
                      That would be the only thing in the robots.txt file, and it would work?

Comment

Yes.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I just uploaded the robots.txt file. Any idea on how long it will take to disappear from google search?

Comment

You can request there removal in webmaster tools
                            Edit after some research it seems if you submit a new sitemap old urls not in new sitemap will dissapear naturally, it is only in urgent cases eg confidential info. that they will remove it immediately, more info here.
                            http://support.google.com/webmasters...&answer=164734
                            Last edited by donald1234; Thu 2 Feb '12, 9:24am.

Comment

Is there a resource on how to submit a sitemap somewhere? That is something I have never done before, and I know that I should learn how to do it. Thanks Donald for that info.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X