vBulletin Database Too Large / MySQL Server Has Gone Away error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] vBulletin Database Too Large / MySQL Server Has Gone Away error

Having some issues that I'm hoping you can help me with. First, I have read other threads that talk about the possible causes to the second part of my subject (MySQL Server Has Gone Away error). I've talked to my host, and haven't gotten very far with them. So here are my questions:

1. Getting many emails coming to me that have the MySQL Server Has Gone Away (dozens a day).
    2. Discovered that my database is 1.13GB in size, and the host says there is a limit of 1GB for their databases.

Are the two above related? I would think so, but wanted to verify.

Given that, the site this is for is not my site. The person that I work for here has stated to me that we absolutely cannot delete old content. So I feel kinda stuck. We obviously need to either shrink the database or increase our size. What options do we have within vBulletin? Can I port all the data to a secondary database that vBulletin can still access through an archive, or are our only options at this point to either delete threads and other content and/or call our host and ask for more space?

I think we're wanting our cake and eat it too, but I thought it best to stop assuming and ask the experts. Any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Web

are you storing attachments in the db? if so, move them to the file system and that'll free up space/speed you up.

Same goes for avatars etc. Move everything you can into the file system.

for the gone away messages just add 30 to wait_timeout value in my.cnf then if that doesn't work add another 30(secs) and so on.

http://www.webyog.com/blog/2009/09/0...ssion-timeout/

Comment

Thanks Punchbowl.

Regarding the wait_timeout - the site is on a shared hosting plan (with a large, well-known hosting company), and I don't believe I have access to that. If you think otherwise, please point me in the right direction.

Regarding the other suggestions, can you point me in the right direction to accomplish this? Thanks so much...

Web

Comment

basically it's something like this:

admincp>attachments>attachment Storage Type>Move Items from Database into File System.

when you move them you'll need a directory/sub-directory to store the images so you have to create that beforehand.

best thing is to log into ftp then make a directory at the same level (or higher) as httpdocs or public_html or where ever you upload files. but it doesn't matter that much, the main thing is moving them out of the db and into the file system.

I had mine at /httpdocs/attachments for a while with no probs.

That's about it. vb tells you what permission the folder needs (i can't remember off hand - maybe 755/777) when you do the move.

Having the attachments in the filesystem should take a bit of strain away my mysql but honestly with shared hosting a lot of that is out of your hands.

Think about a vps or some sort. How big is your site members/posts?

Comment

Check there isn't a pile of spam photos in an album. I ate 9gb of them once.
          Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by WebGuy75903 View Post
            2. Discovered that my database is 1.13GB in size, and the host says there is a limit of 1GB for their databases.

Are the two above related? I would think so, but wanted to verify.

Given that, the site this is for is not my site. The person that I work for here has stated to me that we absolutely cannot delete old content. So I feel kinda stuck. We obviously need to either shrink the database or increase our size. What options do we have within vBulletin? Can I port all the data to a secondary database that vBulletin can still access through an archive, or are our only options at this point to either delete threads and other content and/or call our host and ask for more space?

I think we're wanting our cake and eat it too, but I thought it best to stop assuming and ask the experts. Any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Web
            Having the same issues and looking for an answer as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X