Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove Orphan Stylevars - how do I know if it's safe? Simple solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul M
    replied
    Do you understand what Orphaned Stylevars are ?

They are stylevars that have been removed from the latest version, so are no longer used by the default style, but may still exist in your database.
    If you have a custom style, built using an older vb version, its quite possible it may still need those old stylevars, so removing them would have consequences.

Leave a comment:

• zylstra
    replied
    Vegan Forum, did you find a reasonable solution?

Leave a comment:

• The Vegan Forum
    replied
    Well, removing these old orphan stylevars is recommended - and one important reason for this, I guess, is that editing styles will become a less confusing and hair-pulling experience if old stylevars which have no function anymore don't hang around in the stylevar list anymore.

OTOH, how wrong can it go if some elements in some styles end up looking wrong? Unfortunatelty, there's no search field in the Stylevar window which lts us search in the Stylevar descriptions yet, so stylevar editing is somehow a shot in the blind. And the stylevar names which could have made life a lot easier, like thread_title_font, blockhead_text_color etc are often missing. For some reason font colors are only called colors, and AFAIK one cannot edit the size of the thread title font or forum name font using a stylevar... and so on.

Are there others who know of simple ways to check if removing orphan stylevars may cause unwanted results?

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Ah ok A more difficult way to check it out would be setting up a test forum and do the remove orphans there. Or just close the board, make a backup, run the orphans remove tool and check if the style is fine.
    Or do it like I did it, just keep it like it is.

Leave a comment:

• The Vegan Forum
    replied
    Thanks, Ramsesx - but the text in that link is the reason why I'm confused. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entr...vars-quot-Tool

Leave a comment:

• The Vegan Forum
    replied
    click the dropdown then CSS
    I have dozens of edited Stylevars in each Style - they are all marked in red if I go to the Style Manager and choose the Style Variable editor, but that doesn't seem to be what you refer to.

Do you suggest that I shall select Main CSS in the Style Manager menu? If I do that I get to a page saying "This CSS is obsolte" etc., and at the bottom of the page, a field called Additional CSS definitions.

If I select "All Style Options, I se some Common templates with a lot of red text in them.

If I select Edit Templates, I see a long list of mainly white tet, but also some blue and some red lines. The text in this area explains white, red and yellow text. Footer, header, bbcode_quote, additional.css, dpg.css, vbulletin.css, postbit_legacy, headinclude and some others are listed in red.

Since all these are in red, does that mean that I shouldn't remove orphan stylevars, or am I looking in the wrong area?

Is this explained somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• josiah
    replied
    Go into stylevars click the dropdown then CSS, any of the modified templates will be in red.

Leave a comment:

• Remove Orphan Stylevars - how do I know if it's safe? Simple solution?

I already posted the following question here, but guess the chances of getting a reply is higher here...

The main style at veganforum.com is made by a now defunkt company, and was originally made for vb 3.*. We also have another 3rd part Style. I did some work to make these skins work for vb4 at some point, but how does a totally non-CSS-savvy person like me know if any of our current styles have customized CSS templates that are not up-to-date/referencing stylevars that have been removed? Is there a simple way to find this out?