Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CraigPorter
    replied
    Thank you very much for your suggestions and ideas.

Although I have implemented many of these ideas at one time or another to a varying degree of success, I am old enough to know that I do not know it all and may have missed something. I will go back and try these suggestions and see how they work. It may be that nothing will keep spammers from registering and I should just change the method I implement from time to time to keep them guessing.

Thanks for your suggestions and any new ideas ar always welcome.

Leave a comment:

• donald1234
    replied
    The q/a setting is very efective in combatting spam bots as mentioned, if configured properly. It does little to thwart human spammers and neither should it as genuine users are human too. I find this mod to be very effective against human spammers. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...=247399&page=3 You can set a minimum amount of posts before users can post links. As these spammers only want to post a link to there dodgy website they just do one when they find they can not.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    This is what I do.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-on-your-forum

Leave a comment:

• lifanovsky
    replied
    After upgrading my forum to 4.1.10 on January 10th I found that a lot of spammers started to register and post. Hopefully I resolved this issue with changing questions (I am using QA feature) and adding a hidden required profile field, but I was surprised that upgrading caused this. Though maybe its just coincidence..

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    I would suggest using Q&A with a Q/A that is specific to your site - something about airguns that all airgun users would know (ie. do not ask What is 1+1? as that is not specific) Also, look into the spam modifications over on vbulletin.org, the modification site.

Leave a comment:

• CraigPorter
    started a topic [Forum] Excessive spammer registrations

Excessive spammer registrations

I need a little help in dealing with new registrations from spammers on our forum www.straightshooterschat.com. Currently we are getting an excessive number of registrations from what look like spammers. Most of the registrations seem to be coming from Gmail accounts. The place of origin seems to be mostly European countries.

We are currently running VB 4.1.10 although the problem existed prior to the upgrade.
    Originally we had our systems registration set using "Human Verification Manager" with Question and Answer as our filter. When this did not stop the problem we changed to the reCAPTCHAâ„¢ Verification. The spammers seem to be getting around the dual code entry and into the registration process. To keep the spammers from actually getting onto the forum we do a manual verification once they register but this is time consuming and labor intensive.

Currently we also have the following set:

Facebook = Off
    Moderate New Members = on
    Verify Email address in Registration = yes
    We also ban each IP address

We had a check run of our files and file permissions and everything was OK. All permissions were set correctly and there were no unnecessary files.

The long and short is we are looking for a way to eliminate or at least minimize the number of bogus registrants trying to get onto our forum.

Can anyone give us some suggestions on 1. why they are getting through the screening and 2. how we can at lease minimize the problem?