Spambot Bloggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Blog] Spambot Bloggers

I've had an influx of spambots on my site lately. They are all named with a lower case letter, then a full name, for example, something like vCherColemann. They then post spam blog entries.

I changed the default registered user group to not allow people to post blog entries and requires human verification on forum posts, and then created a new group with the default permissions and set up a promotion to move them over to that group after the account is 5 days old and has a minimum of 1 forum post. This seems to be working so far.

However, even though these spambots are no longer creating blog posts, I am still getting like 3 or 4 of them registered a day. I'd rather not have my member list filled up with this. I use Q&A human verification on registration, which was working fine for me until last month. What else can I do to prevent these spambots from registering?
    Using vBulletin 4.x Publishing Suite at Clylla Game & Guild Portal

A spambot cannot answer a question such as the ones below because it cannot understand it or anything similar.......

Q. Which finger is an insult. A. middle

Q. A bakers dozen is ? A. 13

Q. Bugs bunny's favourite food. A. carrot
    <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

I have had this EXACT problem as well! However, after deleting the users, when I try to click on my Blog tab at the top of the page, I now get a 500 server error. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix this?
      a

Comment

I haven't had that problem, but I didn't delete any of the users yet. I just deleted their blog posts and changed their primary usergroup to banned users.

I would think my Q&A questions aren't that easy. But perhaps I should change them. I'm concerned they may have some backdoor around the human verification system, since I wasn't getting any spammers at all since October, but all of a sudden since mid/late December I start getting several a day. These are my questions:

Which of the following is unlike the others: Apple, Orange, Strawberry, Iguana, Watermelon?
        Which of the following is unlike the others: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Football?
        Which of the following is unlike the others: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Buttered Toast?
        Which of the following is unlike the others: Lizard, Orange, Gecko, Iguana?
        Which of the following is unlike the others: iPhone, Buttered Toast, Waffles, Pancakes?
        Which of the following is unlike the others: Football, Baseball, Summer, Basketball?
        Using vBulletin 4.x Publishing Suite at Clylla Game & Guild Portal

Comment

After a member was travelling the world, he stopped in India, since then we have received about 100 users a day since, I have tried every thing to stop em, we even upgraded to VB4 to see if that worked. As you can see below I have been away 3 weeks and this is what i come back to. They are passing security so i dont even think they are Bots but some sad guy behind a computer getting paid to put company links on as many web sites as possible.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation 2,847
          I aim to use this but not sure on server load if i do.

Not sure if i can post links here if not sorry

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042
          http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...IMA_NUTTER.jpg

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X