• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by carntheroos4eva View Post
    Slinky,
    I'm not going to argue with you. I just have a few questions to ask you. Did you change the name of your database and if so you must have forgotten the name of the old one?
    Which FTP client are you using? Because that could be giving you the problems that you are having.
    LOL. Thanks for piping in, glad to discuss. Nothing changed. My process was as follows: Download zip file. Unzip file to directory on my PC. Move all forum folder files on my server into an "old" folder, making sure that all plugins are turned off prior to upgrade. Copy all files into the forums directory. I use WinSCP and later Filezilla and had the same problem. What is weird is it was every single javascript file in the build and nothing else. I just downloaded 4.1.7 and the same issue arose. This did not happen with 4.1.5.

Here is some interesting testing. I just downloaded the same 4.1.9 distribution package for another site I'm launching on the same server. The customer area here and download is lagging something awful - must be a problem here. I unzip the contents, upload them to my server with the same settings and I have no problem at all. My guess is that the package I was downloading from VBSI yesterday might have had some issue although I don't know why decompressing on the server worked but not performing the same procedure as I just did now. Go figure. Perhaps someone corrected the problem, lol!

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by eva2000 View Post
    Most folks I know moving from vB 3.x to vB 4.x would of installed in same directory as the forums so if vB3 was at domain.com/forums, they would of uploaded vB4 files to domain.com/forums and shouldn't be a problem (with unexpected content issues but then again 4.1.9 was where the new checks came in) and if you needed to read instructions and edit settings in /upload/index.php file to change paths or use method i linked to at https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...insubdirectory.
    Eva - It works and doesn't work. I left the entry blank in the "Forum Component URL" setting. When I type the site name into the browser it does seem to stick. But all the links generated in the breadcrumb back to the home page are different -- http://www.mysite.com/forums/index.php . I also tried "http://www.example.com/forums" and that too returns the same index.php appended onto the return urls to the forum home.

As I mentioned, all this stuff about upgrading needs to have links placed into the Read Me files for the upgrade. Finding information here is like looking for a needle in a haystack. In addition, since this process was changed at some point from 4.1.1 or later, those of us who were or are using VB forums that are prior to 4.1.1 would have no way of knowing that anything has changed.

Leave a comment:

• Regs
    replied
    In your attempts to be snide, as usual, you have no clue at all what you're talking about and make a complete and utter fool out of yourself.
    You sound like my wife.

Uh-oh.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by slinky View Post
    Eva - thanks for taking the time to look. I will have to check this out to see if it works and also without the index.php in the URL.

As you can see by the version number, this did not exist for a long time (I waited until 4.0.7 and then went to 4.1, both prior) and there is mention and no link at all in the current upgrade instructions. Anyone who had been performing upgrades would be doing it the way Zachery just mentioned it should be done. That we know works and was the only solution.

I'll test it out. If it works, I'll note it here and HIGHLY suggest that this be included in the upgrade instructions. I just can't imagine why it wouldn't be done that way asap.
    Most folks I know moving from vB 3.x to vB 4.x would of installed in same directory as the forums so if vB3 was at domain.com/forums, they would of uploaded vB4 files to domain.com/forums and shouldn't be a problem (with unexpected content issues but then again 4.1.9 was where the new checks came in) and if you needed to read instructions and edit settings in /upload/index.php file to change paths or use method i linked to at https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...insubdirectory.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Slinky,
    I'm not going to argue with you. I just have a few questions to ask you. Did you change the name of your database and if so you must have forgotten the name of the old one?
    Which FTP client are you using? Because that could be giving you the problems that you are having.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by Regs View Post
    (1) vB3? this isn't the problem you were talking about in this thread from the get-go. It also isn't a solution.
    (2) is this a solution?
    (3) You said you figured it out, not Zachery.
    (4) You were told this right from the get-go, again, not something you figured out on your own.

I'm beginning to think there never really was an issue for you but being everyone's hero and all here, you needed another avenue to champion all that ails the vB customer
    In your attempts to be snide, as usual, you have no clue at all what you're talking about and make a complete and utter fool out of yourself.

(1) Either you cannot read English properly or know nothing about search engine optimization. If your forum is at mysite.com/forum/ it makes a huge difference if you move it to mysite.com/forums.php or mysite.com/forums/forums.php. Most customers here upgraded from VB 3 and anyone with an ounce of know how wants to maintain their URL.

(2) Yes, it was the ONLY solution for over a year and may still be the only solution to maintain your URL if you are using the Suite and installed it in a subdirectory. Use the forum search like you told me to do instead of shooting your mouth off.

(3) I figured it out. If you read the link you'd see that I had done this before. Zachery reminded me of what I had actually done and wrote up for everyone's benefit a long time ago. As usual, you're all mouth and didn't bother to read.

(4) See #3.

You apparently have no life other than to hassle me and anyone who criticizes the process here for the past 2 years. You show us you know little. You don't read. You don't understand. I'm frustrated because I have better things to do with my time than write manuals for software I've purchased and watch the company not prioritize the easy but important things that mean a great deal for customers. And I also have no more time to waste with you. Take your smart aleck remarks that serve no purposes elsewhere. I'm responding to Eva's comments and hopefully this "no brainer" solution will finally be included in the Read me file for upgrading vBulletin so nobody else will waste all the time I did again.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by eva2000 View Post
    Eva - thanks for taking the time to look. I will have to check this out to see if it works and also without the index.php in the URL.

As you can see by the version number, this did not exist for a long time (I waited until 4.0.7 and then went to 4.1, both prior) and there is mention and no link at all in the current upgrade instructions. Anyone who had been performing upgrades would be doing it the way Zachery just mentioned it should be done. That we know works and was the only solution.

I'll test it out. If it works, I'll note it here and HIGHLY suggest that this be included in the upgrade instructions. I just can't imagine why it wouldn't be done that way asap.

Leave a comment:

• Regs
    replied
    Typical - snide, ungrateful and not caring to understand the problem only talking and attempting to make smart remarks.

The idiot's version is as follows:
    1 - Whomever designed VB 4 Suite forgot that the URL to your VB 3 forum was important. Apparently this SEO wasn't stolen by Xenforo.
    2 - There is no proper way, even at this late date, to maintain your URL as mysite.com/forums/ except to "hack the files". The VB Suite assumes you're using the CMS and changes the forum URL.
    3 - Read Zachery's notes as to what you need to to keep the forum URL the same as it always was.
    4 - Any diagnostic error you get when checking the validity of your files for index.php and forum.php should be ignored because VB 4 still doesn't account for this not being an error

- The documentation I wrote up was ignored here for a long time, just some wisecrackers like you yapping about complainers
    - I also pushed for fixing numerous other simple issues to be fixed that would errors on your server and potentially also negatively affect your SEO with file not found errors
    - I pre-paid for this product
    - I don't get paid a dime, get ignored and then people like you make fun of those who are a little frustrated that simple jobs don't get done after 2 years.
    (1) vB3? this isn't the problem you were talking about in this thread from the get-go. It also isn't a solution.
    (2) is this a solution?
    (3) You said you figured it out, not Zachery.
    (4) You were told this right from the get-go, again, not something you figured out on your own.

I'm beginning to think there never really was an issue for you but being everyone's hero and all here, you needed another avenue to champion all that ails the vB customer

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied

1 - Whomever designed VB 4 Suite forgot that the URL to your VB 3 forum was important. Apparently this SEO wasn't stolen by Xenforo.
    2 - There is no proper way, even at this late date, to maintain your URL as mysite.com/forums/ except to "hack the files". The VB Suite assumes you're using the CMS and changes the forum URL.
    Are you talking about https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...insubdirectory ?

I also suggested and was on my wishlist to have such suspect file check before upgrades are run. It's always better to highlight potential upgrade issues before the upgrade process runs. I'd like to see a optional (can be disabled/enabled) check for table indexes/fields BEFORE upgrades are run (for those missing index/field errors). As Freddie said, the suspect file check in admincp has been there for ages, just in the past most folks would of run into these issues AFTER upgrades were run not BEFORE.
    Last edited by George L; Wed 4th Jan '12, 4:56pm.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by Freddie Bingham View Post
    I do think that the wording of the error needs to be fleshed out more to cover various scenarios about why the files could be showing up when it is not the version mismatch error.
    Freddie - I much appreciate your piping in to provide a detailed explanation. What's odd, just FYI, is that only the .js files were affected by the same unzipping process I've done for years. This doesn't happen on any other files in the archive nor for any other script and had never happened with prior versions of VB. One of those things we might want to note here that is odd.

Thanks again for taking some time to address this. As usual, responsiveness here in this regard is top notch. As I have always insisted, the real problem as to the way things run here has been introduced by others who lack accountability. Before they tinkered with things, you had this place and especially this product running very, very well.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Again, what is the solution that you came up with all on your own? Coles notes version please, I've read enough verbal diarrhea here to last the week
    Typical - snide, ungrateful and not caring to understand the problem only talking and attempting to make smart remarks.

3 - Read Zachery's notes as to what you need to to keep the forum URL the same as it always was.
    4 - Any diagnostic error you get when checking the validity of your files for index.php and forum.php should be ignored because VB 4 still doesn't account for this not being an error

- The documentation I wrote up was ignored here for a long time, just some wisecrackers like you yapping about complainers
    - I also pushed for fixing numerous other simple issues to be fixed that would errors on your server and potentially also negatively affect your SEO with file not found errors
    - I pre-paid for this product
    - I don't get paid a dime, get ignored and then people like you make fun of those who are a little frustrated that simple jobs don't get done after 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• Regs
    replied
    Slinky,

Again, what is the solution that you came up with all on your own? Coles notes version please, I've read enough verbal diarrhea here to last the week

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    The Suspect Files check has been in the vBulletin Adminc CP A LONG time. I made a recent change to the upgrade process that now executes the suspect files check prior to the beginning of the upgrade. You never had the "problems" on previous versions because the check wasn't executed during the upgrade in the past.

BUT

(note the big but) if you had gone into the Admin CP in one of these older versions and ran the Suspect Files check then you would have seen the SAME ERRORS LISTED assuming you uploaded your files using the same FTP client that is modifying the files.

Let me say it again. The errors that you see listed at the beginning of the upgrade are the same errors that you will see if you execute "Suspect Files" within the Admin CP. Instead of searching for "unexpected contents", try "suspect files". You will surely find MANY MANY posts about the output of this function and how to resolve it. This is a diagnostic tool to help ensure your files are at the correct version that you are running. We now show them to you before you upgrade to alert you that something may be fishy with your files.

The contents of your files do no match the contents of the files at the time they were put into the zip file. Your files are being modified between the time you unzip them and the time they end up on the server. That is on your end. The reality is that your files are probably just having the carriage returns changed which doesn't affect the running of your forum. So if you never ran "Suspect Files" before then you would have never known about this issue as it has no real world impact on your forum.

If you search for "unexpected contents" you will find several people who have been HELPED by this addition to the upgrade process. They have found files that they have not been updating and files that they only partially uploaded.

The rash of "unexpected contents" that you keep referring to as an indictment of the system's failure is related to one file that we have added a bypass on.

I do think that the wording of the error needs to be fleshed out more to cover various scenarios about why the files could be showing up when it is not the version mismatch error.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    slinky, paul is correct on the error. It is not the same as one blank index.html file. This system (to check files) was added (at my request) to warn you that some files may not be correct and may cause a problem if you try to upgrade. The error you're seeing is telling you those files do not match the md5 sums that were generated when they were downloaded. You can try reuploading them, or you can check them manually to ensure they're okay. Any small change to those files, extra white space, odd line break, will cause the md5 check to fail. It must be 100% the same as it was generated for your zip file. If you want, you can easily ignore the error and continue the upgrade.
    Whether the error is technically the same file isn't the issue - it's seeing that a larger number than normal are getting this same error message. . It's an error worth documenting since frequently the solution is the same. Others seem to think it's happening with more frequency with 4.1.8, etc. As such, there should be a place where users can go/see/receive that will list common or frequent errors that occur with an installation as you saw here - e.g. including some notes somewhere that are included with release notes.

Now with regard to the "MD5 error" due to changes to those files - I didn't change anything. I uploaded the files using two different clients and only that folder failed with all the JS. I've never had these errors before and no other software has them either. Uploading prior versions of vBulletin did not yield these errors either. Hence I leave you with that but wonder why others are encountering similar messages on perhaps different files.

What's aggravating is to see the major contrast between well run software companies and the mismanagement here in production and all of it is tied into the same thing. The developer releases the version and we get:
    (a) updated read me file which includes the *complete* process to install and upgrade
    (b) a link to a manual that will have the same, perhaps even more comprehensive
    (c) release notes which may include common issues that have been encountered by users for licensees to be aware of during install or at least some announcement in the forum that lists all the common issues encountered.

This is organization. This is what I'm used to. The complaint about having to search the forums for stuff like this has been going on since the dawn of vB 4.0. And be biggest joke of all is that you'll be releasing VB 5 before you even have documentation done for VB 4 - because it has been deemed unnecessary for a long time now and not a priority.

EDIT: Zachery - I'm probably more agitated with VB for the reasons you read about concerning the failure to document and address non-errors in the upgrade procedure once in two years. This isn't your job. Making sure this gets done is the job of the persons leading this project who never make their presence known here.
    Last edited by slinky; Wed 4th Jan '12, 3:22pm.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    So, um, again, what is the solution that you fixed yourself that is 100% VBSI's fault?
    Perhaps if you spent a little more time keeping notes when you upgrade rather than going on and on here, your life would be a happier one?
    The root of this problem is the defective design of VB 4 Suite. Many customers prior to the "Suite" had their forums in a forums directory like this - mysite.com/forums/ - end of story. But the developers who designed the Suite did so in a total vacuum, which explains the myriad of other issues, e.g. the total failure of the CMS. As Zachery alludes to above, in order just to maintain the URL for your forum that you've had with your vBulletin product you've had installed for NINE YEARS prior to the Suite, you've got to do things that are totally contrary to the way the Suite is designed to work. This comes from an arrogance and terrible planning that anyone buying the suite would use the CMS and forums only in the way they envisioned it would work, let SEO and everyone else's setup be damned.

None of this is documented - and it is a standard upgrade. The current upgrade instructions in the read me tells you to write over all the files that Zachery told me to change. In addition, if you set up the renaming of files as per Zachery's instructions, you'll also get error messages in the diagnostics checks that the files aren't authentic even though they are. The result is that if one thing doesn't confuse you, the other eventually will if you verify. You'll screw this up every time you upgrade - but this time it was the diagnostic check that threw me off too. After plodding through the forums, I also discovered that:

(a) It was actually myself who ended up writing the instructions for the benefit of everyone here on how to maintain the above for the release of 4.0.garbage and released them here which many used
    (b) It nailed me on another upgrade and I forgot about having to do this so I raised a great deal of attention as to how important it was to include this in the documentation. I also raised a great deal of attention as to why nobody bothered doing this the first time.
    (c) After several months have passed, this standard upgrade procedure was STILL NOT included in the manual. What would it have taken - 5 minutes???

I rarely ever need notes for doing standard product upgrades that are CORE. I don't like modifying core files for the same reason everyone else doesn't want to hack core code. I DO have notes for when I have to modify plugins and other items that are NOT core. The Read Me file should be updated more than once every 2 years. And I never planned on upgrading vBulletin ever again after 4.1.5p1 - but the defective design here forced me to upgrade yet again or I would lose Facebook Connect.

In addition, as punchbowl said above, wouldn't it have been wiste at some point to fix the "warning" so those of us who use the Suite as a Forum Only (because the rest is still junk) so that we can set the preferences differently? This is CORE. And my core upgrade, by its nature, STILL results in an error in the Suite diagnostics and will leave you wondering what is wrong now.

I have a million things I need to do every day. The last thing I have to do is write Read Me files for vBulletin. I've spent a TON of time "whining" about other graphics that caused thousands errors in my logs because I realized that nobody here at VBSI bothered to fix any of the reports in the JIRA. After I raised a ruckus about it during the last time, most of them finally got done over a year after 4.0.G was released. I don't get paid for these things that any fifth grader could do but fails to get done here. The goal here is to sell us crap we don't need, not deal with stuff they already got customer money for in advance. This is not GPL freeware.

PS - I snipped the hellacious upgrade those of us who relied upon VBSI's statement that the style system was done in VB 4.1. They keep forcing me to do upgrades due to defective design. So to answer your point: my life would have been a lot "happier" if I never heard of VB 4, didn't rely upon the failed promises by VBSI here, and had kept everything on Vb 3.8.x -- just like Internet Brands did with their sites.
    Last edited by slinky; Wed 4th Jan '12, 3:20pm.

Leave a comment: