Login password box is displaying passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Login password box is displaying passwords

The login box at the top of my vBulletin page (where it asks for username/password) is displaying the password instead of the normal "dots" that show up to hide the password. I checked the HTML and the input box is rendered as "type=text" instead of "type=password", but in the template, here's what I see:

<input type="password" class="textbox" tabindex="102" name="vb_login_password" id="navbar_password" size="10" />

Why is it "password" in the template, but rendered as 'text'?

*deleted*

Comment

Are you using any java, minify, or CSS compression plugins? I ask, as one of those caused the same for me and I had to remove.

Comment

Nope, nothing along those lines (yet).

Comment

Have you disabled all your plugins too see if the issue still exists? Clearing all of your browser ache before reloading.

Comment

The only plugin I'm running is VBSEO and disabling it had no effect.

Comment

Do you have any modified templates?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott927 View Post
                Why is it "password" in the template, but rendered as 'text'?
                You have a javascript error somewhere on your page. The code will set the password to a text input type. When the field gains focus, the system will switch its type back to password. This allows us to show the word password instead of ●●●●●●●● in the field when the page loads. This isn't very uncommon in today's web development. However, you have an error which causes javascript to cease functioning somewhere between the time when our code switches it to a text field and then changes it back to a password field on focus. If you turn off Javascript, the field should work properly.

What you need to do is look at your browser's error log and see what the error is. Once we have the error, we can help you resolve it.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Wayne, you might be on to something because the text "User Name" and "Password" aren't cleared out when the boxes get focus either. However, there are no javascript errors. Is that script contained within a template? It's possible i modified it and accidentally removed it I suppose, although I think that's unlikely. I reverted the "navbar", "header" and "headinclude" templates since those seemed the most likely places, but none of that worked.

If it helps, you can check out the forum at http://www.equispot.com/.
                  Last edited by Scott927; Thu 9 Feb '12, 5:49am.

Comment

Try disabling Facebook on your site and see if it works then. If you still have the same problem, try disabling all your mods (including disabling vbseo via it's own control panel and removing it's htaccess) and then see if you still have the same problem.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

I get the following Javascript error when I visit your site using Firefox 8.

Error: uncaught exception: Error: Permission denied for <https://www.facebook.com> to get property Proxy.InstallTrigger

Make sure your APP ID and Secret Key are entered into vBulletin correctly. Make sure that on the App page within Facebook that your URL is properly entered in for the Website URL.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

This problem started happening before I added FB support, but just to be sure, I disabled FB and ALL plugins and it had no effect. Also, the APPID and Secret Key are correct, I use them elsewhere on my site as well and the integration seems to work (I can log in to the forums via Facebook, link accounts, like threads, etc).

Comment

Seems to have been an issue in my footer template. Not sure what, but reverting it fixed the problem.

Comment

Your site is working just fine for me right now.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X