"Too many connections" error all day yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mindstream View Post
    So hostgator is not a good host when it comes to Vbulletin?
    Like with most hosts I'd imagine it would depend on the plan you have.

Comment

Thank you for assasitance; while the main database issues have ceased, the "too many connections" error remains...

However, I have recommended they increase the set value for max connections.
      Tiletron/Hyncharas/Arandra:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
      Projects:= Stargate: Horizon, Stargate: Andromeda (Production Designer, Technical Writer)

Online:= Stargate-Universe (Staff) | Clan Draconus Lupus (Black Dragonwolf)

Comment

Ok, they've said that they can't increase the number of max connections and are passing the buck back to vBulletin:

"Please note this is not necessarily directly connected to the number of people viewing the site, each connection on a site should as this should last for a fraction of second before exiting meaning that even popular forums should be able to be run from such a platform. If the connections are not correctly exited or run badly coded or long queries this can lead to the connections building up on the server and this limit being hit."

However, they have said my forum is using the correct configuration and I need support to properly check the database. Other than upgrading (if the problem is that I haven't yet), I'm not sure what to do as the installation was all handled by someone else; I can't remember if it was them or you who did it. Besides Spam-O-Matic and Captcha, I'm not running anything else with the forum. Isn't there anything vBulletin can do to work out what's happening? I don't know how to code in PHP and rather not poke around myself or I could break it.
        Last edited by Tiletron; Tue 3 Jan '12, 3:14pm.
        Tiletron/Hyncharas/Arandra:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
        Projects:= Stargate: Horizon, Stargate: Andromeda (Production Designer, Technical Writer)

Comment

There is one more possibility, in config.php you can turn off "persistent connections" (if it isn't off already)

You can do this by making sure that section looks like:

Code:
          	//	****** MASTER DATABASE PERSISTENT CONNECTIONS ******
          	//	This option allows you to turn persistent connections to MySQL on or off.
          	//	The difference in performance is negligible for all but the largest boards.
          	//	If you are unsure what this should be, leave it off. (0 = off; 1 = on)
          $config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;

Comment

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
            There is one more possibility, in config.php you can turn off "persistent connections" (if it isn't off already)
            I've looked at the config file and it says it's already off. I recall something similar like this happened when I first launched the forum, when the database wasn't properly set up and we gave the MySQL technician an earful... since then there's been no problems at all until 19th December. Could it be the MySQL version has been updated and isn't fully compatible with vBulletin 4.0.5 (or even the recent build)?

It might be another point to state that my hosts are 123-Reg; they are corporately known as Webfusion Limited, based in the UK. In the current climate it's incredibly hard to know whether one provider is any more reliable than another, so I'd be really interested if you knew of a server host in the UK that might be better, in case I have to transfer my forum elsewhere.
            Last edited by Tiletron; Thu 5 Jan '12, 9:45am.

Comment

Try GlobalGold, I've never had any trouble with them and their customer service is the best I've experienced.
              They also do plans for vBulletin forums which might be worth a look.
              Canon Fodder Forums

Comment

Originally posted by mindstream View Post
                So hostgator is not a good host when it comes to Vbulletin?
                The shared hosting is not good, we use a VPS and that is much better.
                environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

Totally agree, we use the VPS service also, makes life so much easier.
                  Canon Fodder Forums

Comment

Originally posted by ascott View Post
                    Totally agree, we use the VPS service also, makes life so much easier.
                    Y'know 123-Reg is planning to launch a VPS service in a couple of days... it might be interesting for me to wait until then before I think about moving, so I can compare their own planned facilities to GlobalGold's.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X