Forum load time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Forum load time

I am trying to find some ideas as to why my forum seems like it is loading slower than it should, and ways to increase the loading time.

A few have told me it is due to the ads. However, I have to disagree with them, because I belong to another forum that uses vbulletin, like I do, and they use the same type of ads, and have a LOT more activity than I do, and their site/forums load just fine.

Also, when it does load, it takes the loading circle (thing at the top in the tab) forever to stop spinning and go away.
    George Beale
    www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |

The ads are indeed playing a part. According to this tool, they take 33% of the loading time: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/jHe2....com/forum.php

That link will give you a nice overview of what happens when a browser loads your site. Pay special attention to the "Waterfall", "Performance Grade" and "Page Analysis" tabs.
    - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

Originally posted by Maurd View Post
      The ads are indeed playing a part. According to this tool, they take 33% of the loading time: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/jHe2ci1gz/http://forums.millenniumcapitalcorp.com/forum.php

That link will give you a nice overview of what happens when a browser loads your site. Pay special attention to the "Waterfall", "Performance Grade" and "Page Analysis" tabs.
      That link says that my forums are 97% slower than all the tested sites. That majorly sucks!

I just don't get why. The forum I was mentioning earlier is http://freewebspace.net/forum. They have adbrite, adchoice, adsense, and other types of ads that display all the time, and a TON of users, and their site loads great all the time.

Just not sure what to do to see what is going on.

Hostgator.com said last night when I asked them, that the site was loading in a second for them. It took the URL you provide 1 MINUTE to finish. That is a 59 second difference!
      George Beale
      www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |

Comment

I don't mean to fuss, but this is really beginning to irritate me.

I went to this link after searching on Google.com to find a way to speed up my forums. I followed everything on this link, EXCEPT for one, because I could not find it.

Thinking it would help, but sadly no. So, I don't get it. I realize that the ads might have a part in it, but the other forum I am on, has the same ads, plus tons more, and runs great. No slow time.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...s!-vBulletin-4!
        George Beale

Comment

6:00pm est USA
          I checked all of the links in your sig and all of them load in about a second. Not bad.
          When you have these slow load times is it a consistant time of day? Are you on shared hosting with all the sites? How many people are on when you notice the slow down? Including bots and other guests. What type of internet access are you using at the time you notice the slow downs?
          As for your host telling you for them the sites load in a second, of course it will for them. They are sitting at terminals hardwired to the server network.

Comment

Originally posted by setishock View Post
            6:00pm est USA
            I checked all of the links in your sig and all of them load in about a second. Not bad.
            When you have these slow load times is it a consistant time of day? Are you on shared hosting with all the sites? How many people are on when you notice the slow down? Including bots and other guests. What type of internet access are you using at the time you notice the slow downs?
            As for your host telling you for them the sites load in a second, of course it will for them. They are sitting at terminals hardwired to the server network.
            No, it happens any time of the day. Just the forums at forums.millenniumcapitalcorp.com that does it.

Yea, I believe it is shared hosting. It is the business account with hostgator.com

Not sure how many people are viewing the site.

I have fios internet through verizon. 15up and 5 down, I think it is.

Yeah, that is true. I know anything for them, unless something is producing an error will show at lightening speeds.
            George Beale

Comment

Forum load time

What does the admincp say your server load is? Chances are you need a better package... Or host.
              UniteTheCows - File Sharing & Digital Media Resource

Comment

Originally posted by Project-Buckfast View Post
                What does the admincp say your server load is? Chances are you need a better package... Or host.
                Where do I pull that information from?

Never really had any issue with it until recently.

Also, my host is hostgator.com and out of 6 providers, they are the only ones who know what they are doing, except for the host before them, that went out of business.
                George Beale

Comment

I use hostatom.net with cloudflare.

Comment

I believe this is actually some issue with firefox. Today, I have been doing testing in ff, ie, and chrome, because I have been doing updates etc on all of my sites, so have to test things out.

Anyways, in IE, it only took make 5 seconds for the site fully to load in IE...
                    George Beale

Comment

Looking at your site in FF and using Firebug, it's the ads and scripts that are loading at the end of the page that are taking longest - adbrite stuff taking the longest with one (admonkey.dapper.net) not even loading at all.
                      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -
                      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                      - "Quick Route" Interface...
                      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                        Looking at your site in FF and using Firebug, it's the ads and scripts that are loading at the end of the page that are taking longest - adbrite stuff taking the longest with one (admonkey.dapper.net) not even loading at all.
                        Is there a way to correct it without taking all of the adbrite ads off?
                        George Beale

Comment

bump
                          George Beale

Comment

I dont know if this will help at all.
                            I did a bit of trouble shooting on my own server over the weekend.
                            Turning off any stats and logs programs in cpanel has freed up a lot of cpu and memory
                            In my own case, 60% reduction in memory usage and Im averaging about 75% less cpu load

Comment

Most likely would be the ads that are being used but I am wondering what your load times are like when going to other sites because it could be the ISP that you are with (if they have had server issues) or it could be the plan that you are on that reverts to slow dial up times when over the limit on your plan.
                              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                              Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X