Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which human verification question are they answering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Which human verification question are they answering?

I setup a bunch of new random questions on my forum but every now and then a chunk of spammers get through so, I'm assuming one of the questions is too easy but, how do I know which one? Wouldn't it be nice if vBulletin included the answer in the admins new user email? Currently we receive email, birthday, referrer, ip address, and any custom field but... what about the question answer? Is there a quick way to turn this on?
    Chuck
    SiriusBuzz.com

Don't ask questions with answers that are easy to put in a computer program like numbers 0-9 yes,no, primary colors etc.

Comment

Originally posted by donald1234 View Post
      Don't ask questions with answers that are easy to put in a computer program like numbers 0-9 yes,no, primary colors etc.
      I dont.

The human verification question here is irrelevant, I am asking how to display the answer in the new user admin notification email.
      Chuck
      SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

and any custom field but... what about the question answer?
        Make an answer to a question a required custom field. I think that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Infopro View Post

Make an answer to a question a required custom field. I think that would work.
          How do you make a human verification answer a custom field? That isn't how the Q&A works, both are defined in the human verification options.

Anyone from VB care to comment?
          Chuck
          SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

bump.
            Chuck
            SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Is there no answer because there is no way to show the answer? I'm not seeing anything on .org either.
              Chuck
              SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Should I be surprised at the lack of response here?
                Chuck
                SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Maybe my question wasn't clear? Is there a better way to ask it?
                  Chuck
                  SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Hello and sorry for the delay in response.

There is no way to have Q&A responses sent by email I'm afraid...this would require modifying the code.

Good Q&A should stop the majority of spammers. If you still have some getting through, the best defence would be to have more strong questions.

In general avoid any questions where the answers may be common among many sites even if the question is different- That is to say no matter how hard the question is if the answer is "3" or "Blue" avoid the question. Spam bots may try common answers even if they can't understand the question just to see if they get lucky. Avoid answers that are low or common numbers, basic colours, and the like.

Although we can't support modifications, you could try an anti-spam modification for extra protection:
                    VB 4.x Anti-Spam Mods:
                    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forum...c&daysprune=-1

MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by chaz7979 View Post

I dont.

The human verification question here is irrelevant, I am asking how to display the answer in the new user admin notification email.
                      This isn't possible without custom coding. That isn't a service we currently provide.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by chaz7979 View Post

How do you make a human verification answer a custom field? That isn't how the Q&A works, both are defined in the human verification options.

Anyone from VB care to comment?
                        This is how people used to do Question and Answer before Human Verification Manager was introduced.

vBulletin allows you to create custom profile fields in the Admin CP -> User Profile Fields -> Add New User Profile Field

Create a single line textbox field... Make it a question with a specific answer. It is not easy to have multiple answers here.

Make the field required at registration so the user can't register without answering.

Then in the last box, regular expression you need to make a regular expression of the "answer"

If the answer is a common word like say: butter then just type butter into the box.

Note the answer here is case sensitive- they will need to answer exactly the word "butter" (without quotes) to complete registration if you do this.

If you know or read up on regular expressions then you can play with it and make it more fancy in terms of multiple answers or allow different cases, etc...

Just know that some special characters like dashes, periods, plus signs, etc... have special meanings in regular expressions so keep your answer limited to the letters a to z and the numbers 0 to 9.

I'm NOT recommending this as a way to prevent spam, just explaining how it is done. I would suggest you instead head over to vBulletin.org and try some of the vBulletin 4.x anti spam mods. Just remember we cannot provide support for 3rd party mods- you would need to ask in the mod thread if you run into issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          This isn't possible without custom coding. That isn't a service we currently provide.
                          UGH.

So, what do you do if you have 20 good questions and all of a sudden you start getting a bunch of spammy registrations? Throw them all out and start over?

Seriously, I'm asking the VB team... what do YOU do when this happens?
                          Chuck
                          SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Make your questions website specific, our Dallas Cowboys forum questions are questions only true Cowboys fans would know the answers to without intense googling, something bots dont have a tendency to do.

Comment

What do you do if you have 20 good questions and all of a sudden you start getting a bunch of spammy registrations? Throw them all out and start over?

Seriously, I'm asking the VB team... what do YOU do when this happens?
                              Chuck
                              SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X