Weird "" at very top left hand corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Weird "" at very top left hand corner

Can any good vBulletin folk advise how to resolve this incredibly frustrating error?

The very top corner of all pages in Mozilla Firefox (but bizarelly not Chrome or IE) has "", only when users are logged in.

It resolves itself when I force the character encoding in firefox as unicode (UTF-8) rather than the pre-set western (ISO-8859-1) but the default in firefox for most is ISO...

I vaguely recall this in the past was resolved by '' somehow inserting itself into the header of the config file but it's not there this time. I've also tried saving in notepad and phpeditor and reuploading to no avail.

Any help would be warmly received!

That is a BOM and is a result of editing a file without using a plain text editor. You should be using something like notepad+ or bbedit to edit your files. Create a new config.php file using a plain text editor and then upload that new config.php file.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

download config.php
      open with notepad++
      set encoding to ANSI
      save
      upload
      ???
      (should be) profit

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
        That is a BOM and is a result of editing a file without using a plain text editor. You should be using something like notepad+ or bbedit to edit your files. Create a new config.php file using a plain text editor and then upload that new config.php file.
        Originally posted by CvP View Post
        download config.php
        open with notepad++
        set encoding to ANSI
        save
        upload
        ???
        (should be) profit
        Thanks - efforts very much appreciated.

Sorry, did mean to mention I did the above. To be sure, I just upgraded from 4.1.3 to 4.1.8, ensuring the config edit was made in notepad++ - but to no avail.

Is there any method that tells me what file is causing the annoyance?

Comment

If it's on all pages, then it's a file that is most likely called on all pages like your config.php file or global.php or init.php. Did you edit any of your files? Did you try rewriting your config.php file?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thanks Lynne.

I did rewrite the config file. Downloaded a fresh copy from vBulletin and edited with notepad++

I did the same with global.php and init.php but the problem persists. Very strange.

This was occurring in 4.1.3 and I upgraded to 4.1.8 - part in hope it might iron out the error but unfortunately it didn't. Any last throw of the dice suggestion?

Comment

Open a support ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by CvP View Post
                Open a support ticket.
                Thanks. Intend to, when my current one [support ticket] concerning our priority problem, that being Facebook Connect becoming unresponsive since upgrade is resolved. Still awaiting response.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X