Change author of a CMS article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    Indeed, I don't doubt it would be handy in some one off situations, but its not an obvious feature, which was what you said.
    Well, it's an obvious enough feature to be included in every other CMS suite I've looked at. Given the number of threads I've seen requesting this feature over the past few years it's clearly not "some one-off situation." In fact, in one of the threads one of the vB developers even noted that it was being considered for v4.0 but obviously that didn't happen. I've looked high and low for a mod that would permit this as well. So far I've come up dry, and not being a coder/programmer it's not something I'm capable of developing myself.

As for editing the author via the db, yes you could do that but it's a pain in the rear compared to having a simple text field for an alternate author's name included in the create/edit article page options.

Comment

Originally posted by reefland View Post
      If it's that important, just go into the db and edit the author.
      Thanks for the suggestion. How do I "just" do that?
      My vBulletin forum. Check it out!
      Apps: iPhone/iPad, Android

Comment

I tried editing the userid field in the cms_node table, but it didn't do anything to the article. I wonder what I broke instead

/me puts things back....
        Last edited by charlesr; Thu 10th Nov '11, 9:56am.
        http://www.bordersdown.net - 10 years of videogame reviews and chat

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          I tried editing the userid field in the cms_node table, but it didn't do anything to the article. I wonder what I broke instead

/me puts things back....
          Did you clear the CMS cache after you changed it and before you viewed the page?

Also, as I have mentioned in a different thread, for articles, there are actually 2 tables in the database, and I *think* both have the author in them. So you might look into changing the other table info as well.

Comment

heheh, nope. Just retried and it worked fine. Thanks dude.

Note to others: you need to have a userid set up already with the correct name that you want to switch the author to, then modify the userid field in the cms_node table to match that userid. Then purge CMS cache in the vbulletin admin panel.

Not sure where you other thread is, but after looking around for a while, I couldn't see any other tables with relevant userid in. If you could poke about, just in case, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

After looking again, I realize now that it is showing the post author if a post was promoted to an article. The table is cms_article.

Comment

Indeed, I dont doubt it would be handy in some one off situations, but its not an obvious feature, which was what you said.
                It is such an obvious feature that every single CMS software available has the ability for the Admin to edit the author of an article. If you are going to make a CMS product, stop thinking like a forum and add features that CMS software requires. News sites receive submissions in many formats, some through email. A CMS software needs to provide the admin the ability to add and edit articles from many authors, some of whom may not be registered members of your forum.

Those who have old sites running on other platforms will also need the ability to add articles under the names of their original authors. We can't post all the articles under our own names, nor can we chase down the original authors and explain to them that they have to register an account and re-submit their article so that their name will be credited correctly.

My solution was finally I had to pay someone $120 to write the plugin, and it is now available on vb.org. I can't think why such an important and basic feature for a CMS software isn't included. Those who say they can't think of any valid use really must not have very large sites. Any site admin with tens of thousands of articles will definitely want to have a feature like this to enable themselves to easily administer their site.

Comment

I use a plugin from vb.org that allows me to change authors. Great for when my writer cant or doesnt have time to post the article

Comment

Got a link to that mod? I can't find it (can find one for forum threads, but not cms)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X