• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Change author of a CMS article?

How do I do this?
    My vBulletin forum. Check it out!
    Apps: iPhone/iPad, Android

You can't. There *may* be a mod over on vb.org to do it, but the default install doesn't have the option to be able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
      You can't. There *may* be a mod over on vb.org to do it, but the default install doesn't have the option to be able to do it.
      That's a shame - it seems like such an obvious thing to want to do!

Comment

Because inquiring minds want to know... Why would you want to change the author of an article? Isn't that plagiarism?

Comment

What is the situation you would like to use this functionality for? Is it an existing article with comments? Promoting a forum post to an article?

Comment

Importing articles from an old setup - that is the reason I would do it. Or, if someone doesn't fully understand how to create the article in the CMS, and they send the Admin their article in a Word document.

I've done both, and unfortunately, I am listed as the author for both when I'm actually not.

Comment

Originally posted by licensinglinks View Post
              That's a shame - it seems like such an obvious thing to want to do!
              Its not really an obvious thing to want at all.
              You cannot change who posted a thread, blog, post, message etc, so why would such a feature exist just for articles.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Just switched over to the Vb CMS and have 300+ articles to enter by various authors that were submitted over the past 10 years. Seems rather silly that the Admin wouldn't have the option to change the author in such instances to give credit to the actual author(s). It would also be beneficial to allow people to post articles under their real name rather than their registered username.

Comment

Originally posted by setishock View Post
                  Because inquiring minds want to know... Why would you want to change the author of an article? Isn't that plagiarism?
                  The reason for wanting it is precisely the opposite of plagiarism. I am importing a load of articles from my old phpBB knowledge base. Now unless I get the original authors to log in and and reproduce their article (impossible), they'll have to have my name as the author (plagarism?). I hope that answers your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                    Its not really an obvious thing to want at all.
                    You cannot change who posted a thread, blog, post, message etc, so why would such a feature exist just for articles.
                    Please see post #9. It's a a necessary feature if you've just invested in vBulletin and want to bring articles from your old site across.

Comment

I agree that it would be very helpful to be able to change the author name. The situations you describe are perfectly valid reasons to need that feature. Unfortunately, the base software does not support that.

The only suggestion that I can make at this point is to check over at vbulletin.org and see if there is a mod or if someone can help you accomplish this.

Comment

Originally posted by licensinglinks View Post
                        Please see post #9. It's a a necessary feature if you've just invested in vBulletin and want to bring articles from your old site across.
                        Indeed, I dont doubt it would be handy in some one off situations, but its not an obvious feature, which was what you said.
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

You might look into this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=254150

Had a buddy code this for me awhile back, but never really used it much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                            Indeed, I dont doubt it would be handy in some one off situations, but its not an obvious feature, which was what you said.
                            OK well I suppose maybe not obvious to everyone - but as someone with legacy stuff to bring across I have found this issue a little frustrating.

Anyhow thanks all for the advice - I'll check out .org then

Comment

If it's that important, just go into the db and edit the author.
                              sigpic
                              Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X