Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avatars broken on 4.2.2 upgrade

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Avatars broken on 4.2.2 upgrade

    I just upgraded from 4.1.9 to 4.2.2 and suddenly many users' custom avatars are broken links.

    I've taken a look andvBulletin seems to be looking for the wrong file name. For example, one user's avatar is being sought at avatar22318_10.gif when the existing file is avatar22318_6.gif in the file system. All of the problems seem to be the same: looking for a file with a _## suffix larger than what's actually there.

    Any idea what happened? Will rebuilding the custom avatar thumbnails fix this, or is more required?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Sadly, looks like a big "nope" on the thumbnail rebuild (which was my guess). So what's up with vB all of sudden looking for things with the wrong file name? By the by: it's very erratic. Some work fine, others not (though it's consistent for any user).

    Thanks!
    Last edited by ShannonA; Thu 10th Oct '13, 12:06pm.

    Comment


    • #3
      Stupid answer: upgrade problem. I'd synced the avatars from an older backup.

      Comment


      • #4
        There are no stupid answers, only answers we didn't know at the time.

        Thanks for coming back to let us know what it was.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

        Comment


        • #5
          I had this problem, after upgrading from vb 3.8.9 to vb 4.2.5, as well. After looking into the problem, I fixed it manually by changing the avatarrevision field in the user table of the database.
          Using the available image files as a reference, I went to each user with the respective userid and changed the value in avatarrevision to match the suffix in the filename. In my case, the numbers had to all be reduced by 1.

          Using the windows program HeidiSQL, to link to the MySQL database, I selected Tables / user and clicked on the Data tab. I then right-clicked on userid and selected just the columns: userid, username and avatarrevision.

          Example: looking at the files in www.example.com/forum/customavatars
          avatar6_1.gif
          avatar122_1.gif
          avatar8751_1.gif
          etc.

          For this example, I selected userid 6 and then reduced the number in avatarrevision from 2 to 1.

          I repeated this for every image listed in the directory. Once finished, all the avatars were working again.
          Regards

          Peter Walker
          http://www.rifeforum.com

          Comment

          Related Topics

          Collapse

          Working...
          X