Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Vbulletin do this???

Hello,

I own a web business and have a client (Large Elementary School) who would benefit from vbulletin. (I have purchased for my own site also).

4 Group Areas / Membership Areas - where each group can log in with user ID and password.
    Group A, Group B, Group C, Group D

Each group needs to have:
    - a Blog - so they can post comments and view
    - a page for documents and other files (So they can download & view)
    - a calendar or two (can it work with Google Calendars?)
    - perhaps a photo gallery or album

Ideally we would like each of these 4 items to be password protected by user id and password per Group.

Each Group would have a separate members area (so they can log-in) which contains the 4 items as above. And these 4 items would only be available to an administrator and the group members = per group.

For ALL Groups:
    - A forum or question & answer section
    - membership community

I understand vbulletin will do this; however please reply and let me know in details. As well as offer any suggestions or other requirements.

Thank you so much - this is so exciting

Requiring extra logins and password protection for each area sounds unnecessarily complex.

vBulletin allows each member to belong to multiple usergroups. Permissions to different forums and areas can be granted to different usergroups. Thus once a user is logged in, they have access to everything they should and nothing they shouldn't.

Out-of-the-box it's not possible to integrate vBulletin with Google Calendar. You'd have to do separate logins for that.

vBulletin's blog and gallery/album features are on the weak side to be totally honest. You would probably be better to have an Announcements or Articles forum where only certain people can post articles and then others comment. And you can post photos as attachments to new and existing forum discussion "threads".

Comment

Hello,

Thank you so much. I appreciate your reply.

Please can you clarify this for me, I really need full details and explanations of how this is all going to work together.

vBulletin allows each member to belong to multiple usergroups. Permissions to different forums and areas can be granted to different usergroups. Thus once a user is logged in, they have access to everything they should and nothing they shouldn't.

So if permissions are possible for different areas per different groups - then Yes, this is what we would like. A user group to have user id and password to gain access to that 1 user group. All members in the user group can have same user id & password.

Group A has 10 members - those 10 members can log into the one user group with same user id & password.
      In this user group - they would have access to a blog, photo album, and page/s for documents and files.

Can 1 user group have a "private" forum as well?

Please explain in full details.

Thank you so much.

Comment

Hello,

In using this system for myself - this looks amazing...

Please can someone give details about how the user groups & members would work in the private area.

Awesome Thanks so much. look forward to any help you can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by webowner View Post
          Hello,

In using this system for myself - this looks amazing...

Please can someone give details about how the user groups & members would work in the private area.

Awesome Thanks so much. look forward to any help you can provide.
          Here is what you need to do:

Create four forum categories in
          admincp > forum and moderators > forum manager

Then
          admincp > forum and moderators > forum permissions > deny all for registered users

admincp > usergroups > add new usergroups > create your FOUR user groups based on registered usergroups

Now again in forum permissions > enable each of four new groups access to one of the categories you created.

Now for any new member, go to edit profile > usergroups > additional usergroup > select only the group he belongs to.

This way all your members will be divided in four groups. They will each have their own un/pass but have *all* permissions from all the groups they belong to.

In various places where you can define permissions, these four usergroups will be available and you can configure them as you wish.

There is a "can create group blog" permission in usergroup permissions. If you enable it, they will be able to create group blogs. They can configure the privacy level when posting the blog entry.

As for photo album and other things, the best way would be using the GROUPS feature in vbulletin. You can create 4 private groups and add people to it.
          Inside of the group, they can post photos and discuss privately.

Comment

Thanks Riasat,
            I was just stuck with similar problem.
            Was not able to give proper permissions.
            Shall follow your guidelines now.

Comment

If you need more help, feel free to let me know

Comment

I just followed your guidelines and it solved within few minutes.
                The mistake I was doing was that I had created usergroup based off a particular section and was trying to give access.
                When I created usergroup based on registered usergroups and gave proper permissions, it happened quickly.

Sorry, I am new and still learning many features so I may post many basic Qs.
                Thanks again....

Comment

if you want to keep things private, make sure unregistered/users awaiting/coppa groups don't have access to private sections.

Comment

Thanks Riasat,
                    yes, noted.
                    Sections / Forums have been kept private for unregistered users.

Comment

I found one more option,
                      While editing profile of individual users, it gives the option of 'Edit Forum Permissions (Access Masks)'.
                      After clicking on it, it gives the option of selecting individual forums.
                      This overrides the default permission settings in their usergroup.
                      This I found to be quite useful to edit forum access on a user-by-user basis.
                      This may be useful especially when there are limited number of users, which can be managed individually.

@ Riasat : can you give your inputs on this.
                      Thanks in advance...

Comment

Using too many Access Masks can have an impact on performance, they are best used sparingly.
                        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by sankirtan.rns View Post
                          I found one more option,
                          While editing profile of individual users, it gives the option of 'Edit Forum Permissions (Access Masks)'.
                          After clicking on it, it gives the option of selecting individual forums.
                          This overrides the default permission settings in their usergroup.
                          This I found to be quite useful to edit forum access on a user-by-user basis.
                          This may be useful especially when there are limited number of users, which can be managed individually.

@ Riasat : can you give your inputs on this.
                          Thanks in advance...
                          Sorry for the late reply.

As Ace said, the less you use this, the better. I don't use it at all!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X