Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to transition to my new vBulletin suite?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Best way to transition to my new vBulletin suite?

I currently run a Wordpress blog (3.2.1) and phpBB3 forum. I purchased vBulletin suite to replace both of these in a nice "all-in-one" package with integrated CMS <-> Forum features. It was the main reason behind my purchase.

Anyway, I set up a new sandbox sub-domain on my site and installed vBulletin there. I used ImpEx tp import all my forum posts and users to the sandbox copy. I have a few people testing it out to make sure everything works and the permission settings are accurate. I haven't imported my Wordpress articles because it looks like ImpEx doesn't cover the latest WordPress version (not that I tried, but according to ImpEx it is for 2.9 which is a pretty different structure).

My question is, what now? I plan to go live with vBulletin by November 1st. What would be the best way to accomplish this? Should I move all the sandbox files over to my root htdocs directory and then go in and manually change all the path settings, or should I do a fresh install and then copy the database over(which, as far as I know, I can't since I only have one license and that would technically be a separate install), or should I do something entirely different?
    Using vBulletin 4.x Publishing Suite at Clylla Game & Guild Portal

You are allowed to have 1 active (live) install and 1 test install that is password protected so it cannot be publicly accessed.

I would password protect your "sandbox" install, keep it as your test site going forward- and re-import the most recent version of your forum into the new live install. Keep backups of everything along the way.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that. Is there a way to export my settings on the test site and import them to the live one?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaggeh View Post
        Thanks, I'll try that. Is there a way to export my settings on the test site and import them to the live one?
        Never used this but I think it's what you're looking for.

AdminCP > Settings > Options > Backup/Restore Settings

Also if you changed your style.

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Download/Upload Styles

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt Bike Addict View Post
          Never used this but I think it's what you're looking for.

AdminCP > Settings > Options > Backup/Restore Settings

Also if you changed your style.

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Download/Upload Styles
          Exactly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	backup-settings-vb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	3685767

Comment

Thanks you two!

Will this also backup/restore my cookie path and stuff? Cause that I DON'T want to copy over from my test site. After doing a backup/restore, are there any particular settings I should double check?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaggeh View Post
              Thanks you two!

Will this also backup/restore my cookie path and stuff? Cause that I DON'T want to copy over from my test site. After doing a backup/restore, are there any particular settings I should double check?
              I'm not sure about the cookie settings, however you'll want to check the Site Name / URL / Contact Details settings.

Comment

It will copy over ALL default settings in vBulletin Options. You will want to make changes to your cookie and any other settings you need to customize. As Dirt Bike Addict says - Site Name and URL settings will be one to change for sure.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I've decided to just do a fresh install for the live site, import the forums, and then re-set everything by hand. It's not like I've made that many changes from the stock install. If I had a 5,000 user site I'd want to do this to minimize downtime, but I don't think my 50~80 users a day are going to mind if I take a little bit over an hour to configure everything. :-P

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X