Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    It looked like the instructions Steve had given back then may not apply anymore, with more current versions of mysql. So instead, I ran a phrase search looking for the one character that appeared in each of these phrases, and then reverted them, one by one, back to the original English phrase (which it appears once done, deleted the custom phrases one by one as well). labor intensive to be sure, but fixed. Thanks for helping me track this down.

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    I'm helping the owner of another company with this, and the position at his company in charge of the forum has been a revolving door the last several years, so I can't really say and there's nobody to ask.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Do you have now, or ever had a 2nd language installed?

If you have a database backup you may try this - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-phrases/page3

Though I've only seen it happen with additional languages, it sounds like your issue.

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    And though the Delete option appears, when I try to delete I'm told it's part of the Master Language and therefore undeletable.

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    Running a Phrase search for the odd looking "Ð" character it appears all phrases that are garbled are somehow custom phrases. Some are duplicates of existing standard phrases, some are unique (for example, in Global Phrases, cancel_changes is only a Custom Phrase and is about 40 characters of the odd characters mentioned above).

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    Good idea. I ran that and found quite a handful of files that didn't belong, and rather than taking them out piece by piece, I just deleted every vB file except config.php and re-uploaded 4.2.1 (and now there are no suspect file versions of anything) and re-ran update.php, but the problem persists.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    If you run Maintenance > Diagnostics > Suspect File Versions, are any of the files listed as not containing expected content? Or listed as "expected 4.2.1, but have version 3.7.x" (os similar)?

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    Bump

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    Another clue: On Page 4 of GLOBAL Phrases, there appears to be something like an old cat header iteration partway down the page, and after that break, the phrases (at least for awhile, again I didn't check all phrases on all 80 pages) appear to be fine. So in this example (sorry the screen couldn't capture more) 1 day ago, 1 hour ago, 1 minute ago, etc, all render fine.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    More clues - decided to look in the Language Manager and this is the first thing I saw:Click image for larger version

Name:	strange_characters_2.gif
Views:	34
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	3990887

Note: MOST of the phrases are not garbled like that. I didn't look through every single one, but a cursory review showed most to be normal/correct. Unfortunately I can't discern a reason for why some are garbled and some aren't, and I'm not sure providing a list here will be all that helpful.
    Last edited by ImageConstrux; Fri 23 Aug '13, 8:38pm.

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    I downloaded a fresh copy, uploaded install folder only and re-did the upgrade, with no change.

I uploaded the entire fresh copy of 4.2.1 and re-did the upgrade, with no change.

Do you have further thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    Re-uploaded same files, but I guess that answers my question.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Did you first redownload a new 4.2.1 set of files and then upload those? (or just reuploaded the same set of files?)

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    Tried it twice, still no change. Any other ideas? Possibly a bad download? Or bad unzip?

Leave a comment:

• ImageConstrux
    replied
    I'll give that a try now.

Leave a comment: