Strange Characters in AdminCP after upgrade from 3.7 to 4.2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Characters in AdminCP after upgrade from 3.7 to 4.2.1

The problem I'm seeing is sporadic but persistent - the majority of the blocks of text in the admincp render as expected, but there are blocks that are completely unintelligible. I searched a little and tried the following: View with different browsers (Firefox, Chrome) Cleared cache Re-upload admincp folder Re-upload cpstyles folder None of these have had any effect. Please see the screen capture for an example of what I'm seeing. Any thoughts as to what I might try to correct this?
    Attached Files

I'd suggest you reupload the install directory, and re run upgrade.php

Comment

I'll give that a try now.

Comment

Tried it twice, still no change. Any other ideas? Possibly a bad download? Or bad unzip?

Comment

Did you first redownload a new 4.2.1 set of files and then upload those? (or just reuploaded the same set of files?)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Re-uploaded same files, but I guess that answers my question.

Comment

I downloaded a fresh copy, uploaded install folder only and re-did the upgrade, with no change.

I uploaded the entire fresh copy of 4.2.1 and re-did the upgrade, with no change.

Do you have further thoughts?

Comment

More clues - decided to look in the Language Manager and this is the first thing I saw:Click image for larger version

Name:	strange_characters_2.gif
Views:	34
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	3990887

Note: MOST of the phrases are not garbled like that. I didn't look through every single one, but a cursory review showed most to be normal/correct. Unfortunately I can't discern a reason for why some are garbled and some aren't, and I'm not sure providing a list here will be all that helpful.
                Last edited by ImageConstrux; Fri 23 Aug '13, 8:38pm.

Comment

Another clue: On Page 4 of GLOBAL Phrases, there appears to be something like an old cat header iteration partway down the page, and after that break, the phrases (at least for awhile, again I didn't check all phrases on all 80 pages) appear to be fine. So in this example (sorry the screen couldn't capture more) 1 day ago, 1 hour ago, 1 minute ago, etc, all render fine.

Attached Files

Comment

Bump

Comment

If you run Maintenance > Diagnostics > Suspect File Versions, are any of the files listed as not containing expected content? Or listed as "expected 4.2.1, but have version 3.7.x" (os similar)?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Good idea. I ran that and found quite a handful of files that didn't belong, and rather than taking them out piece by piece, I just deleted every vB file except config.php and re-uploaded 4.2.1 (and now there are no suspect file versions of anything) and re-ran update.php, but the problem persists.

Comment

Running a Phrase search for the odd looking "Ð" character it appears all phrases that are garbled are somehow custom phrases. Some are duplicates of existing standard phrases, some are unique (for example, in Global Phrases, cancel_changes is only a Custom Phrase and is about 40 characters of the odd characters mentioned above).

Comment

And though the Delete option appears, when I try to delete I'm told it's part of the Master Language and therefore undeletable.

Comment

Do you have now, or ever had a 2nd language installed?

If you have a database backup you may try this - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-phrases/page3

Though I've only seen it happen with additional languages, it sounds like your issue.

Comment