Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No support for PHP 5.4.x, 5.5.x+ (character set, SQL errors, deprecated syntax)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] No support for PHP 5.4.x, 5.5.x+ (character set, SQL errors, deprecated syntax)

vBulletin 4.2.1 does not work at all out of the box with PHP 5.4.x or above. Part of this is known already, and the workaround is to suppress error messages in PHP.ini and edit a file to "fix" the page editing feature.

However, upgrading the server to PHP 5.5.x also breaks vBulletin yet again. It spits out the following message (via admin email): "mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead /forum/includes/class_core.php on line 317".

It turns out, the PHP code syntax used in vBulletin for communicating with MySQL DB has been long deprecated and this time for whatever reason, is resulting in a harsher break, since error suppression alone isn't enough to fix this.

Please release an official update for vBulletin 4.x to properly support PHP 5.4.x+.

As paying customers, we should receive the support we paid for.

Thanks.

An update is planned, but we have no definite date at this time.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

In your includes/config.php file change from mysql to mysqli.

That is something everyone should be using already, mysqli is more effcient and the vast majority of servers support it.

Comment

if there are specific error messages you're getting send them to me. I'm in the process of hiring a team to fix some of the PHP 5.4 compatibility problems with 4.2 on my own. I'll take into account some other issues potentially.
        My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• DemOnstar
          DemOnstar commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by slinky View Post
          if there are specific error messages you're getting send them to me. I'm in the process of hiring a team to fix some of the PHP 5.4 compatibility problems with 4.2 on my own. I'll take into account some other issues potentially.
          Marvelous job! Albeit, ridiculous that it has to come to this...

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
        In your includes/config.php file change from mysql to mysqli.

That is something everyone should be using already, mysqli is more effcient and the vast majority of servers support it.
        This worked, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
          I ran into the messages here and some more during the "upgrade" process from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1:
          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-compatibility

The workaround was to suppress warnings and error messages in PHP to get it installing.

The post editor was also broken on PHP 5.4, and required messing with some of the source files to get that working again.

Comment

Originally posted by xgamingstudio View Post
            I ran into the messages here and some more during the "upgrade" process from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1:
            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-compatibility

The workaround was to suppress warnings and error messages in PHP to get it installing.

The post editor was also broken on PHP 5.4, and required messing with some of the source files to get that working again.
            Thanks - let me know what specifically what isn't working with the post editor as so far it seems to work. On my site we've got double posting problems, some browsers will hang when hitting the button to submit a post and a few other issues. We're going to do some work on the files to ensure that the core functionality doesn't raise PHP 5.4 issues.
            My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

mysqli did not work for me.

Warning: Illegal string offset 'link' in [path]/includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2777

Warning: Illegal string offset 'link' in [path]/includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2791

Warning: Illegal string offset 'link' in [path]/includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2777

Warning: Illegal string offset 'link' in [path]/includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2791

Those are the errors I'm receiving after my host upgraded PHP.

Also, any uploaded images are not displaying. I receive a little icon in their place. If you click on the little icon, the photo's do display.
              -=morrow=-

Comment

Those are due to php 5.4.
                Support for php5.4 in vB4 is in the pipeline.

In the meantime, turning off php error display via php.ini will stop them displaying.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• morrow
                  morrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ok but people cannot upload photo's and photo's are no longer being displayed. I've been a user since 2002. It seems that other forum software's are not having issues with php5.4.

One of the reasons I've yet to "upgrade" to vBulletin 5 is because it appears the software took a turn for the worse.

You say that support for PHP 5.4 is in the pipeline but it seems this has been an issue for close to a year now? How long is this pipeline?

Is someone actively working on the issue that so many of us are experiencing or is it a thought and is it more of a pipe dream you're feeding us?

If it's a ploy to get people to buy into vbulletin 5, I've got news for you... I'll give my hard earned money to one of the other software forum manufacturers before I "upgrade".

This is pathetic. I am so pissed off. I went with vB over the competition because you guys seemed larger and therefore able to support your product. I go to XF forums and see NO complaints like this or anything this major that hasn't been addressed immediately - over a year? You guys just work on vB 5, ignore vB 4, which is still you're most used product - and think it's alright... this isn't FREEWARE SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT!

Also fix your FAQ that says you support PHP 5.4 when you don't... THAT IS ILLEGAL AND FALSE ADVERTISEMENT...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                  Those are due to php 5.4.
                  Support for php5.4 in vB4 is in the pipeline.

In the meantime, turning off php error display via php.ini will stop them displaying.
                  It's been a year now, have you developed support for PHP 5.4 yet?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by FourTwenty View Post

It's been a year now, have you developed support for PHP 5.4 yet?

Thank you.
                    4.2.2 was released in October 2013 and has full php 5.4 compatibility.
                    Last edited by Mark.B; Thu 30th Jan '14, 5:28am.
                    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment