Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Error during upgrade..file system directory

Unexpected Text:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?> <error>Could not create file system directory to hold your attachment.</error>

I have the attachments in the home/user1/attachments
    My main site is in the home/user1/forum
    My demo site is in the home/user1/demoforum

I guess the demo forum would be temporary sharing the attachments from the live forum while im test upgrading.

I the other custom user files are stored in the database.

Also, if a suggestion(fix to above issue) would be to create a new demo attachments folder and change the patch in admincp, where could I change the patch in the database without loging into admin panel so I dont have to do another backup.

Thanks!

EDIT: btw i am upgrading fropm vb3(latest) to vb4(latest)
    Last edited by moddis; Tue 4 Oct '11, 3:37pm.

You need to make sure that the attachments directory is set up for permissions of 0777 and is accessible to the same user that the web server runs under.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

It is 0777 since i have been using it with a live site. There is an option however to check "Recurse into subdirectories" which is not checked.

And yes it does run under the same user:

home/user/demosite
      home/user/public_html/livesite

Would it be an issue though it both of the vb version 3 and 4 will temporary chare the attachments directory. The upgrade process wont somehow change that the attachemnts so they wont be useable by VB 3 version?

Comment

Oh wow, just found something that might be causing this:

when i looked inside the attachments folder i see 9 different folders. The first 8 have never changed for over a year only the 9th has been modified a few months ago.

Also, folder 5,6 and 9 have different permissions from the rest. They have 777 and owner/group is the username username. The rest of the folders have permission 755 and its Owner/Group is nobody nobody

Thanks

Comment

That would cause it.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

How would I be able to change the Owner/Usergroup of a folder or file once it is already set?

I have tried to to change (for the demo upgrade) the attachments folder somewhere else with the proper user and it did not work? I have also set the attachments directory to an empty folder with the right permissions and it still does not work... Do I have to reset something first (like cache in browser or server )?

could it be something else?

Comment

The chown tool can change ownership of a file. The chgrp tool can change the group of the file. If you don't have root access to SSH though, you'll need to ask your hosting provider to change these for you. They should be owned by the webserver user and belong to the same group as the webserver user. In your case, this is probably nobody nobody.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I do have ssh access and will try to do this, would these be the proper commands:

chgrp -R new_group /home/user/directory
                chown -R new_owner /home/user/directory
                ?

Also a few more questions about usergroup(which i didnt think mattered before
                1- Does it matter what usergroup/owner the demo site has been uploaded with and does it have to match the attachments folder group? (currently its root root)
                2- The live site and just about all the folders in it is not nobody nobody but user user, so most likely that is my webserver user?

Thank you!

Comment

1) Yes.

2) Probably.

Your hosting provider can answer these questions better.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Unfortunately, still no luck (although I have leaned a few new commands for SSH which im very happy about). I have changed all the owners to match but the same error continues(BTW, the upgrade does not start from beggining, it always starts from where it left off and gives that error). I was thinking maybe there is something I could reset after changing the owner/user ?

Comment

Thanks again. I was able to complete the upgrade after I made sure the original attachments folder is R 777. I dont know why it used the original attachments folder if I changed the Attachments filesystem to /home/user/demoattachments instead of /home/user/attachments.

I also noticed the Albums and Groups be moved into the attachments system (/home/user/attachments). How will this effect the current live vb 3 version with new files in the attachments folder? What will happen when I'm doing the real upgrade, will the attachments overwrite the ones that were copied there during demo instal?

Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X