Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.1.5 Upgrade Error - Redirect Loop, "page isn't redirecting properly", Friendly URLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] 4.1.5 Upgrade Error - Redirect Loop, "page isn't redirecting properly", Friendly URLs

Hey everyone,

I upgraded from vBulletin 4.0.x to vBulletin 4.1.5 Patch Level 1 a couple of hours ago.

I haven't done a lot of upgrades, but everything seemed to go fine. I can go into more detail as to how I upgraded if I need to.

The problem is that I can't access the various forums or posts in the forum.

In Chrome I get "This webpage has a redirect loop" and in Firefox I get "The page isn't redirecting properly. Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete"

I don't really know how to fix this. I'm running a fairly standard version of vBulletin without a lot of plugins.

====

Note, I think this has something to do with "Friendly URLs"

When I go to Settings > Options > Friend URLs (click "Edit Settings") and then change this from "Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs" to "Standard URLs" the problems go away.

But I'd prefer to have my old settings back incase people have linked to certain threads within their posts...

Any ideas are appreciated on what is going on.

Did you check to make sure you didn't delete the .htaccess file needed for your Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

I honestly don't really know what or where that is. I did make a backup of the original folder to my harddrive before I started copying over files from the new vBulletin install, so I probably still have the .htaccess file somewhere.

Honestly, I don't remember messing with any of the Friendly URLs stuff at all. I wasn't even aware of its existence until I read something about it on this forum in another thread, so I figured I would play with the settings. I switched the settings and my forum started working again but without the "Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs"

I don't think I'm running anything other than vBulletin (no VBSeo or anything).

thanks for the help.

Comment

The only way you may use the Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs is if you have an .htaccess file full of the mod rewrite rules. You cannot use that setting without the rewrite rules as it won't work. From the help popup:

Enabling friendly URLs can increase your site's ranking in search engines and can be useful for users to understand the URL's that they follow.
        • Standard URLs:
          showthread.php?t=12345
        • Basic Friendly URLs:
          showthread.php?1234-Thread-Title
        • Advanced Friendly URLs:
          showthread.php/1234-Thread-Title
        • Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs:
          threads/1234-Thread-Title

Note: In order to use the Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs the appropriate rewrite rules must be defined for your server.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

Is there any real advantage to Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs compared to Advanced Friendly URLs? I have it set to Advanced Friendly URLs and it seems to be working fine, even redirecting old links that people have posted in old posts.

I don't remember ever doing anything to the .htaccess file previously but I know that my forum was displaying threads as "threads/1234-Thread-Title" I'm assuming something changed when I upgraded.

Comment

I am not an SEO expert, so I can't answer your first question regarding advantages. I have never cared about SEO on my forum, so I just use whatever I want.

I don't know how your site was displaying the URLs in that way without an .htaccess file.

Comment

This is caused by the change / introduction of new option to redirect old urls to new URL and an incompatibility with nginx, if your using nginx.

First we turned off redirection, then we fixed our nginx redirect rules and re-enabled redirect.

Such a significant change on a minor release shouldnt happen or should at least be documented.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I'm still on apache and I'm nailed by this problem with 4.1.7 and 4.1.9 and nothing I've been doing all day can solve this yet.

Edit - I've solved this too. More stuff I've pointed out, failure to implement. Hours wasted assuming someone is on top of things like this. Very frustrating.
                Last edited by slinky; Tue 3 Jan '12, 3:03pm.
                My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X