Reducing the size of the database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing the size of the database

My forum database has grown to more than 250MB. Is there a handy way to mass delete all threads earlier than a specified date, such as 1/1/2011? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to cut this beast back?

Thanks

In ACP go to Threads & Posts > Prune.

You can delete all threads older than X there.

Comment

250 MB isn't very large. The database here is 17 GB in size including indexes. However there are ways you can decrease database usage.

1) Move your attachments to the file system. This lowers the size of the database at the expense of disk space. You can do this in the Admin CP under Attachments -> Attachment Storage Type.

2) Move Avatars, Profile Pictures, and Signature Pictures into the File System. You can do this in the Admin CP under Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type.

3) If you do need to prune content after this, you can do this in the Admin CP under Threads & Posts -> Prune Move. It accepts a date as part of its criteria.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks, guys, that really helps.

Comment

If your files are included in your database 250MB is really nothing. I personally would not delete content, since what makes a forum is it's content. If you must have it smaller -- although I can't figure a good reason why -- separate your attachments from your database as Wayne Luke suggested.

My vbulletin database is 12.4 GB and my attachments are already saved as files. All databases for the site are 23 GB. Thought you might need a couple of real world numbers of larger boards. Try not to prune your content it will be a mistake in my opinion.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X