Chinese Spam killing my bandwidth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Chinese Spam killing my bandwidth

I have about every heavy duty anti-spam software going on my site. They generally do a good job despite the fact they block lots of genuine users too. But I'm still getting (literally) millions of chinese IP addresses trying to register on my site. My register.php file got 1.8 million hits last month alone. It is singularly killing my bandwidth and taking my site offline. I have tried banning IP addresses using htaccess, but no list of IP addresses is even big enough to make a dent.

I'm sick of this and I need a way to combat it. I've thought about renaming my register.php file and using 'Find and replace' in templates to change all instances of register.php to a new name, but I don't even know if this will work, or if it will screw up my site. There must be SOMETHING I can do, but I can find absolutely no help online in dealing with this at all.

Am I the only person in the world who is suffering from a gigantic amount of Chinese spam bots?
    - SirTalksalot
    www.talk-uk.com - Talk UK News, Politics, and current affairs!
    Ickle Ads - Get your FREE pixel adspace now! No catches, it's just free!

You can ban the country of China by IP address in your .htaccess file which would reduce the bandwidth they use drastically.

http://www.ip2location.com/free/visitor-blocker
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Hi,

As I have said in my post, I have tried this already. It doesn't work as it takes less than a day for them to find a load of new IP addresses to use.
      - SirTalksalot

Comment

CloudFlare allows you to block all traffic from any country you want. Their free plan allows you to do this too.

Comment

+1 for cloudflare. From there you can block the ips and contries and you will safe the bandwidth.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I've tried Cloudflare on my main site, and the effects have been so dramatic I have changed all my sites to work through it. What an incredible service. I don't know why this isn't top of the list on preventing forum spam.
            - SirTalksalot

Comment

Use cloudflare & stopforumspam plugin. They work very good
              I use vbulletin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X