Delete the Administrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Answered] Delete the Administrator

I have sold the forum so how do I delete myself as the administrator, please?
    British Genealogy.

You will need to contact us via the Licensed Support Centre to request the license be transferred to the new owners.

Within the install itself, if you don't want the new owners to have access to your forum account, you will need to:

- create a new Admin account (ensuring it has ALL Admin permissions)
    - add the ID for that account to the config.php file
    - ask the new owner to log in as Admin and change your usergroup
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

So I cannot change my own user group?
      British Genealogy.

Comment

Not a good idea - I've also replied to your ticket.
        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
        -
        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
        - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Why? As soon as I have changed the user group I want to leave the forum.
          British Genealogy.

Comment

Where can I find the config.php file [Special Users] please?
            British Genealogy.

Comment

The config.php file is in the /includes directory. I would not delete yourself as administrator until the new administrator is all set up.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

I have set up the new owner as Administrator and he would like me to go. Please tell me how I can do this without damaging the forum - where will I find the /includes directory?
                British Genealogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Peep View Post
                  I have set up the new owner as Administrator and he would like me to go. Please tell me how I can do this without damaging the forum - where will I find the /includes directory?
                  in your server, use whatever server access you used previously and may i say this new owner sounds like a (add expletive here)

Comment

No, really he seems a nice chap, but it is his forum now, so I can understand that he would like me to go as soon as possible. The problem is that I cannot remove myself as Admin. Should I ask my web chap to help me?
                    British Genealogy.

Comment

As I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong, now I have set the new owner up as an Administrator, he can change my user group and delete my membership, yes?
                      British Genealogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Peep View Post
                        As I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong, now I have set the new owner up as an Administrator, he can change my user group and delete my membership, yes?
                        Yes, He will also need any server info so he can remove you from the config.php file, i dont understand why you actually need to leave(be deleted) if he just changes your usergroup to Registered and you never login again that would suffice.

Comment

My web developer will not allow him to access our server and the buyer hasn't yet moved the site to his own server - was supposed to happen today, but didn't!
                          British Genealogy.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                            TheLastSuperman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Once the buyer has access, wait for them to transfer the site then once propagation takes place simply have them:

1) Edit config.php to ensure your userid is not added to the super administrators area.
                            2) Either Delete your account OR set the usergroup to a non-admin usergroup.

That's it, it's that simple just like Ba'al stated above ^ .

Edit: Ahh and don't forget, once the site is transferred give it at least 48 hours before you cancel your old hosting account, propagation CAN take anywhere from 2-48 hours to reach everyone... most usually see a new (or transferred) site in 2 hours or so but not always so in the best interest of the site, leave the old hosting active for at least 48 hours then cancel that way if they visit the site something does show .

It sounds like you are good to go.

Comment

Thank you very much indeed for your help. I am most grateful.
                            British Genealogy.

Comment