Search in vB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search in vB

Trying to improve searches in vB forums. Many are not found, we have a lot that need 3 letters, I have reduced default of 4 to 3 but still no joy?

Also have a question on

"Queue Search Updates" It is enabled and Search Queue Updates is enabled in task manager. Would turning this off help for faster more accurate searches?

I've tried to search for "Queue Search Updates" here but the search does not work on this forum for me?

Is there a better vB search option to install?

vBulletin uses MySQL fulltext search and this has a 4 character minimum word length by default. This can only be changed on the server level. There are also a number of 'stopwords' that are considered common and not indexed.

Here are the instructions for changing the default 4 character minimum in MySQL's full text search indexing:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...57&postcount=7

Here's the list of MySQL stopwords that will not be indexed:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...stopwords.html

Note: Changing this to 2 characters may cause a tremendous increase in the size of the database.
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Well I don't have any use for 2 letters, but a great need for 3 letters.

How does the "Words to be Included Despite Character Limit" option work?

Comment

That works to index words that aren't between your letter range. However, it still respects mysql's limits. So, if you add 3 letter words there and you haven't modified mysql per Trevor's 2nd post ,then it still will not index those words.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thanks I'll see if I can get into my server for this change, but it is a shared server so not sure if I can? Or is it part on my database? OK I'll read the link! :-)

If I do change from 4 to 3 would using the
          "Words to be excluded from search"
          Help to slow down load?

Just a short test but adding some 3 letter to "Words to be Included Despite Character Limit" Then using search for three letter with * added seems to work?
          EFI*

Comment

But if you use EFI*, you will only get post that have EFI*something here*, you will not get posts with the single EFI in it.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Well some more testing proves your right! Most times I like it when you guys... gals are right.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X