No announcement yet.

Spam - It's absolutely RIDICULOUS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Spam - It's absolutely RIDICULOUS!

I'm running a fresh and unmodified install of vBulletin suite. I have the reCapcha on along with email verification and with my site being up less than a week.... today I have deleted 4 spam posts and 8 spam bots (or people) that registered.

vBulletin needs to come up with other solution. It's almost not worth putting up the site because of the pain in the ass of fighting the spam.

I'm open for suggestions!!!

Remove reCapcha as it's not effective. Here is what I suggest.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-on-your-forum

Comment

It's part of the problem of being #1! Spammers target VB because it's the most widely used. And they will crack any system that becomes "standard"! So it's best to find your own solution (there are many available). I always moderate new registrations too.

OBTW: those are pretty small numbers to get upset about.

Comment

It's not VB fault you're using something that was cracked by spammers a good while back. If you ask any of the guys and gals what they use and the results they get, I'm sure they will share that info.
        I use Q and A along with e-mail verification. I get one or two spammers a month. My zero posters which means new signups as well, get sent to the zero posters user group. That user group can only post in the lobby. They have severly limited functions ie: no avatar, sig, or image posting permissions. And a lot more is set to no. The rest of my forum is protected by the forum permissions. They can't post where they can't get in. So when on the rare occasion I have some dweeb posting garbage there's only one little forum me or my supermod have to clean up. If they prove to be a genuinly anime interested person I move them over to the registered members user group. There is no auto promote in my forum. I keep control of that at the top. Me! If not and/or a spammer they can sit in the lobby till the devil is driving a SnowCat. Or get shown the door...

Comment

Originally posted by trailerswanted View Post
          I'm open for suggestions!!!
          This is so good it should be mandatory: vbStopForumSpam

Comment

Originally posted by Arkham View Post
            This is so good it should be mandatory: vbStopForumSpam
            Yeap. I was getting 50-100 spam registrations per day before I put that into effect.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X