Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting Myself As Owner, and Administrator

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Forum] Protecting Myself As Owner, and Administrator

    When I first bought vb4, after setting the forum up, I went in the config.php file and set #1 (me)

    // ****** UNDELETABLE / UNALTERABLE USERS ******
    // The users specified here will not be deletable or alterable from the control panel by any users.
    // To specify more than one user, separate userids with commas.
    $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = '';
    Here's the problem. Though I set that, I can still be IP banned. is there a way to protect myself from IP banning?

  • #2
    Don't allow anyone else to be an Admin.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kat-2 View Post
      Here's the problem. Though I set that, I can still be IP banned. is there a way to protect myself from IP banning?
      You can still log in to your Admin CP under a proxy IP.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        Don't allow anyone else to be an Admin.

        ???? That isn't always a feasible option. There is no way to protect a Super Admin from being IP banned?? WOW.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Andy View Post
          You can still log in to your Admin CP under a proxy IP.

          True...or I hope.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kat-2 View Post
            ???? That isn't always a feasible option. There is no way to protect a Super Admin from being IP banned?? WOW.
            Honestly if you have to be that concerned about your Admins then they should not be Admins. Maybe that's just me though.

            You can set the appropriate permissions for each Admin here:

            Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Administrator Permissions


            But there is no specific permission for Banning IPs.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

            Steve Machol Photography


            Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
              Honestly if you have to be that concerned about your Admins then they should not be Admins. Maybe that's just me though.

              You can set the appropriate permissions for each Admin here:

              Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Administrator Permissions


              But there is no specific permission for Banning IPs.

              I guess I gave the wrong impression. I have no admin that I do not trust 100%. This was more on principal. Sorry for bothering you.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm just guessing because I haven't looked, but I'd think the banned IP address list is stored in the database somewhere. Couldn't you as the owner go into the database directly and remove your IP address from the banned list, should that ever happen? Even if someone bans you from vbulletin you should still have access to your hosting account's control panel / mysql

                Comment

                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X