Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Upgrading to 4.1.4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [CMS] When Upgrading to 4.1.4

    Is it nescessary to use SSH for site upgrading ?


    And, afterbacking up your database and site before upgrading to 4.1.4, do you necessarily have to disconnect the DB before upgrading, or , can you leave the site, DB and everything intact? Just wondering..
    DNN l Drewry l DNN on YouTube l DNN Web Links Library l Twitter

  • #2
    Originally posted by DrewryMedia View Post
    Is it nescessary to use SSH for site upgrading ?


    And, afterbacking up your database and site before upgrading to 4.1.4, do you necessarily have to disconnect the DB before upgrading, or , can you leave the site, DB and everything intact? Just wondering..
    I am not sure I understood what you meant by disconencting the db. Besides making a backup you shouldn''t touch the db.

    You can upgrade your forum via ftp as well. Or overwrite your files through the File Manager section too. It is not necessary to use SSH per se to upgrade your forum.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have had nothing but trouble with upgrades unless I used SSH and even then I have sometimes had to try a number of times before a successful backup of the database was achieved. It never worked with PHPMYADMIN even though my database is below the timeout limits suggested in the documentation.
      Regards
      Trevor

      Comment


      • #4
        Like stated make a backup of database, upload files and overwrite.

        You usually find if you upload using SSH you cannot overwrite the files later using FTP, due to permissions differences. always best use FTP.
        http://www.vrbforums.com/forum/index.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Red-Devil View Post
          Like stated make a backup of database, upload files and overwrite.

          You usually find if you upload using SSH you cannot overwrite the files later using FTP, due to permissions differences. always best use FTP.
          Only if you do not change the permissions ownership and use a different user to upload the files.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by borbole View Post
            I am not sure I understood what you meant by disconencting the db. Besides making a backup you shouldn''t touch the db.

            You can upgrade your forum via ftp as well. Or overwrite your files through the File Manager section too. It is not necessary to use SSH per se to upgrade your forum.

            So pretty much, we can use FTP and upgrade our vB sites in overwriting files, the same way like we use FTP to upgrade our wordpress blogs?
            DNN l Drewry l DNN on YouTube l DNN Web Links Library l Twitter

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, the SSH method still requires you to upload the files, but the upgrade script is run in the shell instead.

              Comment

              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X