X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Upgrading from 4.1.3 to 4.1.4 Questions

Dear all,
    This is my first time to upgrade VB Forum version
    Iam going to Upgrade from 4.1.3 to 4.1.4 and I have some questions before upgrading:

In readme file it says: Upgrading from vBulletin 4.x.x
    Upload all files from the 'upload/' folder in the zip, with the exception of 'install/install.php'. Then open the 'upload/includes/' folder.

Upload all files from the 'upload/' folder in the zip, with the exception of 'install/install.php'. there is some files inside folders inside another folders, Can I upload the whole folder to my web server and replace the existing folder or I must upload file by file to its folder (there are toooo much files to upload and Iam worry about forgetting some or misplace some?

Then open the 'upload/includes/' folder.
    do I open the uploaded folder to my web server or what??

after upgrading, would I lose any of mods done to my templates?

these are for now, hope that you give me full details about it
    Last edited by thermax04; Fri 10 Jun '11, 4:59am.

Delete the install/install.php and includes/config.php.new files from your local copy before doing anything.

Then, if you open the 'upload' folder in the local window of your FTP program then open the directory where your forum files are in the remote window, you should see that they're identical. Highlight everything in the local window and click on your transfer/upload button. This will then start to move all files and folders up to your server. If you receive a prompt asking about overwriting the files, select the 'Overwrite All' option.

Then run the upgrade script as directed.

Templates are stored in the database - uploading files will not affect these however the upgrade will. Please see the announcement for a note of affected templates.
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Thank you Trevor

Delete the install/install.php and includes/config.php.new files from your local copy before doing anything.

(from your local copy) Do you mean the 4.1.3 files stored on the web hosting site? or the new files in 4.1.4 folder downloaded from members area?

Then, if you open the 'upload' folder in the local window of your FTP program then open the directory where your forum files are in the remote window, you should see that they're identical. Highlight everything in the local window and click on your transfer/upload button. This will then start to move all files and folders up to your server. If you receive a prompt asking about overwriting the files, select the 'Overwrite All' option.

I dont use FTP program, Iam using FTP File Manager from my web hosting site. would it be the same? or should I use an external FTP Program? and which one is the most easy one to work with it?

when should I turn off my forum? starting of uploading the files or as soon I start ruining the script?

Comment

Delete them on your PC first. Then upload everything that's left.

I always use a dedicated FTP program but it should work the same within your File Manager
        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
        -
        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
        - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Dear Trevor,
          thank you for your support,
          can you tell me the best easy FTP Program to work with , since the FTP File Manager from my web hosting site is slow in dealing with large no. of files for upload.

During the upload: should I replace the whole folder or I must replace file by file?
          I mean for example: folder clientscript inside it there are more folders and inside them more folders, Can I upload that clientscript folder (with all the content) and replace the same folder in my web hosting site? or I must go inside each single folder and replace the files? please explain it me to make it very clear as much as you can

Comment

I always use FileZilla it is free and is regularly updated. Works a treat.

I'm glad you asked about open the 'upload/includes/' folder in the instructions. It doesn't make sense because you are not told what to do when you have opened it! Also no mention of the config file.

Comment

thank you plutonash for your reply
              The most important question to me now is: Can I upload and replace a complete folder or I must upload and replace files only?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X