CSS changes VB:raw Stylevars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] CSS changes VB:raw Stylevars

I'm finding it impossible to change certain elements of CSS.

For example in the member profile, according to right clicking in google chrome the background is line 197

Code:
    .body_wrapper{

background-color: #FFFFF;

background-image: none;

background-repeat: repeat;

}
    However, trying to find this in the template search to change the CSS for userprofile.css only gives me a bunch of code that points to vb:raw yada yada yada and doesn't allow the actual background color to be changed by 6 digit color code.

This is such a headache to try to figure out how to change certain parts of the styles because even the CSS files are coded with vb:raw and I can't figure out how or where to change the actual color codes this vb:raw is pulling from.

The Stylevars are of no help. I mean why isn't it easier to change parts of the member profile pages, like the background. Instead I have to go around in circles trying to figure out something that should be so simple, for hours!

Where is the actual, real css code that can be edited hiding?

Whoever put the css and stylevars together wasn't considering customers ease of usability that's for sure.

Add code to additional.css, instead of trying to change the specific css template, or stylevars.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
      Add code to additional.css, instead of trying to change the specific css template, or stylevars.
      Isn't that kind of just working around the issue rather than resolving it? Instead of piling on more code, why not just tell the OP where the stylevar or CSS is for that specific code. Not only that, but when others like me try to find the answer to the same question and come up with this redundantly stupid answer it makes me wonder just how much VB reps care about the people who invest in their paychecks. I mean that is part of your support is it not?

Comment

Well, You can put int a bug report, and it'll get fixed eventually (which you should do). But if you want the fix today, you should work within the given bounds of the system.

We do directly intend for you to override our CSS with your own, or we wouldn't have included additional.css.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber_Tiny View Post
          Isn't that kind of just working around the issue rather than resolving it? Instead of piling on more code, why not just tell the OP where the stylevar or CSS is for that specific code. Not only that, but when others like me try to find the answer to the same question and come up with this redundantly stupid answer it makes me wonder just how much VB reps care about the people who invest in their paychecks. I mean that is part of your support is it not?
          There are several reasons to use additional.css. Two of these include:

1) Sometimes stylevars are more global than you would like to change. For specificity you may need additional css code.

2) If you edit the default CSS in the pre-existing templates, then there is a chance you could lose it during a template merge on upgrade.

The member profile is one of the things that are difficult to customize via Stylevars because they can be customized by the end user and overwritten by javascript in the product. It is not an ideal situation for those of us in Support and something we have to work around. Instead of criticizing support staff, you should work with us so we can find the best solution for your specific situation. There are many ways to solve some problems but not all are the best to make upgrades as easy as possible in the future.

We cannot fix the system and have to work within the same limitations as you do. If there are issues preventing things from working right, we can create issues. We can bring issues to the attention of the developers and QA but we cannot fix those issues.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Another reason to use additional.css is that it appears to be the only sensible way of making style changes to some areas contained within a member profile page now. You may also want to apply the !important rule to any changes you make because style changes that have already been made and reverted through the user customisation feature appear to override the additional.css. That will however screw up any user customised profiles. That part of it all seems a bit arbitrary, you may find a different behaviour on your forums.

I really don't understand why all this is necessary. The styleVars that defined those areas worked perfectly well up until 4.1.7.
            Last edited by zappaDPJ; Fri 7th Oct '11, 9:00pm.

Comment

Agreed Zappa, after 4.17 the profiles now look crap if you have dark or light skins.
              Bluepearl Skins - vBulletin 4 & 5 Skins

Comment

also agreed - user profiles look ridiculous now if you have both light and dark user selectable styles. This is a real let down, it looks totally unprofessional and I cannot quite believe that this ever made the final release. Is there an existing 'bug' report for this, or should a new one be created?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X