Hacked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Hacked...

So, we got hit by a hacker. Lovely anti US message all that was left on our forum, but the splash page and a couple libraries on it still intact. Database restored from a backup, forum still down, run out of options on our end at this stage.. Would a re-uploading of the forum software be the final answer, or??

This is what the guy who has been helping us said.

We need to get VBulletin involved now; the database has been corrected, and I've started going through code; the PHP code all looks intact, but there is likely something corrupted somewhere that I'm just not seeing; I've been through about 2,000 lines of code, and don't see anything obvious, but I'm sure there is something there somewhere, but as I don't know the "start" point so to speak, it would be hard to pick out anything but the most obvious of problems.

They should be able to do a re-install without affecting any of the database information or the likes, I noticed they had a newer version, but I don't have the access to get in and download it.

It might be something simple in the config.php file, which can sometimes be just erased and re-uploaded to the server.

It is possible that this all happened prior to your back-up Thursday as well, and just needed some trigger to set the dominos falling.
    Last edited by Madpoodle; Sun 15 May '11, 7:00pm.

4.1.2 btw....

Comment

Which hack? Team Animus??

Read this
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...us-quot-please
      environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
      Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

Anytime you are hacked, you should restore copies of your files. You may always get a new set of default vbulletin files from the members area. You should make sure to keep a copy of your includes/config.php file before restoring your other files. If you have attachments/avatars/etc stored in the filesystem, then you should restore those from a backup also.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

k s a hacker.

Lynne, we have done as much as we are capable of, sites still down. Looks like a reinstall is in order I guess, but I do not want to lose several years of posts and attachments. Not sure what we will do at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Madpoodle View Post
            k s a hacker.

Lynne, we have done as much as we are capable of, sites still down. Looks like a reinstall is in order I guess, but I do not want to lose several years of posts and attachments. Not sure what we will do at this stage.
            How is the forum down? What exactly is the problem now? Can you post a link to your forum? The more details you give us the better.

Have you contacted your host and informed them about the hack? So they can check their access logs and see how exactly they got at your forum?

Comment

Do you have a backup of your database? You will not lose many posts users if you restore from a backup.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Sorry, forgot links. At this stage the forum screen is blank, we got rid of the hackers message to the world. www.donzi.org is our main page, link to the forum ( http://www.donzi.org/forum/index.php) now just goes to white screen, no forum. We uploaded a backup from last Thursday (hack was Friday the 13th ) and it still is not working. I notified the host, they are checking.

Comment

Please create a support ticket; also, try disabling all products via CONFIG.PHP , a blank screen is typically a PHP error.
                  anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
                  Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
                  Please be my friend!
                  http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
                  vBulletin Performance Articles:
                  Click here to read

Comment

Ticket in, I'll see if i can figure out the disable in the control panel, thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X